Millisecond Forums

Recording participants' answer

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic27627.aspx

By JessicaEMFarias - 8/19/2019

Hi guys!

I have designed an experiment in which participants have to indicate in which side of 20 squares there are more dots. Now I need to record the data about participants' choices as well as the responses to sociodemographic questions, and I have failed to do so. 

I have been using the element "data" and have set values.selecteditem (trying to record participants' choice of the side) and demographics (the name of the block I have used to insert sociodemographic questions) as columns. 

Can anyone tell me how I should have been doing it? 

I have attached the script below. 

By Dave - 8/19/2019

JessicaEMFarias - 8/19/2019
Hi guys!

I have designed an experiment in which participants have to indicate in which side of 20 squares there are more dots. Now I need to record the data about participants' choices as well as the responses to sociodemographic questions, and I have failed to do so. 

I have been using the element "data" and have set values.selecteditem (trying to record participants' choice of the side) and demographics (the name of the block I have used to insert sociodemographic questions) as columns. 

You've set your selection trial ("lado") up to not record any data.

<trial lado>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.runcount = values.runcount += 1;]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.runcount == 1) values.account_balance_temp = values.account_balance;]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.selecteditem == "esquerdo") {values.account_balance_temp += 0.01;}]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.selecteditem == "direito") {values.account_balance_temp += 0.05;}]
/ ontrialend = [values.account_balance_temp = values.account_balance;]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "esquerdo") {shape.esquerdobg.color = green; values.selecteditem = "esquerdo";} else {shape.esquerdobg.color = black}; ]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "direito") {shape.direitobg.color = green; values.selecteditem = "direito";} else {shape.direitobg.color = black}; ]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.selecteditem == "esquerdo") {values.account_balance += 0.01;};]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.selecteditem == "direito") {values.account_balance += 0.05;};]
/ stimulusframes = [1= estimate, esquerdobg, esquerdo, direitobg, direito, enviar, yourselection, balance_temp]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (esquerdo, direito, enviar)
/ isvalidresponse = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.runcount == 1) false else true ]
/ branch = [if (trial.lado.response != "enviar") trial.lado]
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

and your <data> element does not make any attempt to record values.selecteditem.

There are no sociodemographic questions in the script you attached.

By Dave - 8/19/2019

Dave - 8/19/2019
Hi guys!

<trial lado>
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.runcount == 1) values.account_balance_temp = values.account_balance;]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.selecteditem == "esquerdo") {values.account_balance_temp += 0.01;}]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.selecteditem == "direito") {values.account_balance_temp += 0.05;}]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "esquerdo") {shape.esquerdobg.color = green; values.selecteditem = "esquerdo";} else {shape.esquerdobg.color = black}; ]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "direito") {shape.direitobg.color = green; values.selecteditem = "direito";} else {shape.direitobg.color = black}; ]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.selecteditem == "esquerdo") {values.account_balance += 0.01;};]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.selecteditem == "direito") {values.account_balance += 0.05;};]
/ stimulusframes = [1= estimate, esquerdobg, esquerdo, direitobg, direito, enviar, yourselection, balance_temp]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ isvalidresponse = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.runcount == 1) false else true ]
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

and your <data> element does not make any attempt to record values.selecteditem.

If you just want to capture a single row reflecting the final selection, do

<trial lado>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ branch = [if (trial.lado.response != "enviar") trial.lado else trial.record_selection]
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

//just adds a line of data to the data file reflecting the final selection ("esquerdo" or "direito")
<trial record_selection>
/ trialduration = 0
</trial>

with

<data>
/file = "Resultados.iqdat"
/separatefiles = true
/columns = [date, time, group, subject, trialnum, trialcode, response, correct, latency,
values.selecteditem, values.account_balance]
</data>
By Dave - 8/19/2019

Dave - 8/19/2019
Dave - 8/19/2019
Hi guys!

<trial lado>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

If you just want to capture a single row reflecting the final selection, do

<trial lado>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ branch = [if (trial.lado.response != "enviar") trial.lado else trial.record_selection]
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

//just adds a line of data to the data file reflecting the final selection ("esquerdo" or "direito")
<trial record_selection>
/ trialduration = 0
</trial>

with

<data>
/file = "Resultados.iqdat"
/separatefiles = true
/columns = [date, time, group, subject, trialnum, trialcode, response, correct, latency,
values.selecteditem, values.account_balance]
</data>

I can't say anything about sociodemographics because -- as I said -- the script you attached does not contain any. If you run your <surveypage>(s) via a <block>, the responses to the various questions will be automatically captured in the data file's response column, with the trialcode column reflecting the respective question name.

If you use a <survey> element instead of a <block>, you'll get a separate, differently formatted data file for the survey questions.