Millisecond Forums

Fixing some problems

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic27654.aspx

By JessicaEMFarias - 8/25/2019

Hi!

I had already finished a script for running an experiment, but, after a meeting with my mentor, I was asked with making some alterations on the script. I am a complete newbie, so I really need healp.

But first, I will explain the experiment. 

It's an experiment in which participants are shown a series of 20 images of squares with 20 dots inside of each of them. The squares are divided by a vertical line and participants should answer in which side there are more dots. The images are shown for only one second, for they are not supposed to count the dots to give the answer. 

Subjects are rewarded in different ways according to the answer they give. For example, if they answer that the left side has more dots, they receive 5 cents. But if they answer the right side has more dots, they receive 10 cents. In the end of the experiment, they will receive the amount of money they have earned during the 20 trials.

The changes I am trying to implement are:

1) Subjects must answer by using the keyboard, pressing either the keys E or I (mouse was the input device before).
2) Subjects should answer while they see the images (before participants would answer on another screen, just after seeing the images).
3) Subjects must be able to click on something (the screen, a button etc) and stop the image on the screen to count the dots, if they want to. Otherwise, they will see the image for only 1000 milliseconds.
4) For half of the images, there are mot dots on the left side. For the other half, there are more dots on the right side. I need to randomize the images' presentation as well as to ble able to track whether participants have chosen the correct answer or not.

I have been trying to implement them, but I have been facing many errors which I do not know how to fix. 

I am attaching the script as well all the files below. 

Thanks in advance.

By Dave - 8/25/2019

JessicaEMFarias - 8/25/2019
Hi!

I had already finished a script for running an experiment, but, after a meeting with my mentor, I was asked with making some alterations on the script. I am a complete newbie, so I really need healp.

It's an experiment in which participants are shown a series of 20 images of squares with 20 dots inside of each of them. The squares are divided by a vertical line and participants should answer in which side there are more dots. The images are shown for only one second, for they are not supposed to count the dots to give the answer. 

Subjects are rewarded in different ways according to the answer they give. For example, if they answer that the left side has more dots, they receive 5 cents. But if they answer the right side has more dots, they receive 10 cents. In the end of the experiment, they will receive the amount of money they have earned during the 20 trials.

1) Subjects must answer by using the keyboard, pressing either the keys E or I (mouse was the input device before).
2) Subjects should answer while they see the images (before participants would answer on another screen, just after seeing the images).
3) Subjects must be able to click on something (the screen, a button etc) and stop the image on the screen to count the dots, if they want to. Otherwise, they will see the image for only 1000 milliseconds.
4) For half of the images, there are mot dots on the left side. For the other half, there are more dots on the right side. I need to randomize the images' presentation as well as to ble able to track whether participants have chosen the correct answer or not.

I have been trying to implement them, but I have been facing many errors which I do not know how to fix. 

Thanks in advance.

Maybe you could explain which of the changes you want to implement you are having trouble with and why.
By JessicaEMFarias - 8/25/2019

Dave - 8/26/2019
Hi!

Thanks in advance.

Maybe you could explain which of the changes you want to implement you are having trouble with and why.

Hi, Dave! Unfortunately, I am having problems with all of them. I have been trying to fix them for a couple of days, but I have not been successful. 

Please find attached a screenshot of the error messages. 

It seems like That Inquisit is trying to find the elements imgesquerdo e imgdireito in the folder I have saved the script, but I just wanted to refer to the two elements I associated two categories of images with. The other errors seem to be ralated to some sort of mistakes when I was trying to attribute the keys E and I as answers to the main task. 

By Dave - 8/25/2019

JessicaEMFarias - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Hi!

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Dave! Unfortunately, I am having problems with all of them. I have been trying to fix them for a couple of days, but I have not been successful. 

It seems like That Inquisit is trying to find the elements imgesquerdo e imgdireito in the folder I have saved the script, but I just wanted to refer to the two elements I associated two categories of images with. The other errors seem to be ralated to some sort of mistakes when I was trying to attribute the keys E and I as answers to the main task. 

None of the stuff in the error message you attached is in the script you attached. How am I supposed to tell you what's wrong with it?
By Dave - 8/25/2019

Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Hi!

Thanks in advance.

None of the stuff in the error message you attached is in the script you attached. How am I supposed to tell you what's wrong with it?

It seems to me there are some basic misconceptions perhaps about how Inquisit syntax works / how to do stuff with Inquisit. May I suggest you take a step back and work through the tutorials (if you haven't done so yet, or repeat the exercise if you've only skimmed them before)?

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v4/html/tutorials/tutorials.htm

As for

> It seems like That Inquisit is trying to find the elements imgesquerdo e imgdireito in the folder I have saved the script, but I just wanted to refer to the two elements I associated two categories of images with.

That's not how things work. You cannot have two different <item> elements in a single <picture> element. You need two separate <picture> elements, each with its own <item> element. You'll also probably need two separate <trial> elements -- one that presents the <picture> element of category one, one that presents (and collects responses to) the <picture> element of the other category.
By JessicaEMFarias - 8/26/2019

Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Hi!

Thanks in advance.

As I said before, I am just learning how to use Inquisit and just realized that, to save changes I have made to a script, I must rename the file. I was just hitting the save button and hoping the changes had been recorded, which, as you told me, did not work. So, I am attaching a new folder, with all of the stuff I have mentioned. 

Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Hi!

Thanks in advance.

As I said before, I am just learning how to use Inquisit and just realized that, to save changes I have made to a script, I must rename the file. I was just hitting the save button and hoping the changes had been recorded, which, as you told me, did not work. So, I am attaching a new folder, with all of the stuff I have mentioned. 

Please find the folder attached. 
By Dave - 8/26/2019

Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Hi!

Thanks in advance.

#1:

<picture dot>
/ items = ("imgesquerdo", "imgdireito")
/ erase = true(0,128,128)
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

As I've already explained, this does not work.  You need separate <picture> elements.

<picture dot_esquerdo>
/ items = imgesquerdo
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<picture dot_direito>
/ items = imgdireito
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<item imgesquerdo>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image03.jpg"
/ 3 = "image05.jpg"
/ 4 = "image07.jpg"
/ 5 = "image09.jpg"
/ 6 = "image11.jpg"
/ 7 = "image13.jpg"
/ 8 = "image15.jpg"
/ 9 = "image17.jpg"
/ 10 = "image19.jpg"
</item>

<item imgdireito>
/ 1 = "image02.jpg"
/ 2 = "image04.jpg"
/ 3 = "image06.jpg"
/ 4 = "image08.jpg"
/ 5 = "image10.jpg"
/ 6 = "image12.jpg"
/ 7 = "image14.jpg"
/ 8 = "image16.jpg"
/ 9 = "image18.jpg"
/ 10 = "image20.jpg"
</item>

#2: You've set the script's default input device to "mouse":

<defaults>
/minimumversion = "4.0.2.0"
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 2.5%, false)
/ screencolor = (0,128,128)
/ txcolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,128,128)
</defaults>

"E" and "I" are not something a mouse does.

<trial esquerdo>
/ validresponse = ("E", "I")
/ correctresponse = ("E")
</trial>

Specify the proper /inputdevice either in <defaults> or in the <trial>.

#3: An <item> element is not a stimulus. It merely lists items, as the name suggests.

<trial esquerdo>
/ stimulusframes = [1 = imgesquerdo]
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>

You need to specify the *stimulus* element you want to display, i.e, the relevant <picture element>, see #1.

<trial esquerdo>
/ stimulusframes = [1 = dot_esquerdo]
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>

Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Hi!

Thanks in advance.

#1:

<picture dot>
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

As I've already explained, this does not work.  You need separate <picture> elements.

<picture dot_esquerdo>
/ items = imgesquerdo
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<picture dot_direito>
/ items = imgdireito
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<item imgesquerdo>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image03.jpg"
/ 3 = "image05.jpg"
/ 4 = "image07.jpg"
/ 5 = "image09.jpg"
/ 6 = "image11.jpg"
/ 7 = "image13.jpg"
/ 8 = "image15.jpg"
/ 9 = "image17.jpg"
/ 10 = "image19.jpg"
</item>

<item imgdireito>
/ 1 = "image02.jpg"
/ 2 = "image04.jpg"
/ 3 = "image06.jpg"
/ 4 = "image08.jpg"
/ 5 = "image10.jpg"
/ 6 = "image12.jpg"
/ 7 = "image14.jpg"
/ 8 = "image16.jpg"
/ 9 = "image18.jpg"
/ 10 = "image20.jpg"
</item>

<defaults>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ txcolor = (white)
</defaults>

<trial esquerdo>
</trial>

#3: An <item> element is not a stimulus. It merely lists items, as the name suggests.

<trial esquerdo>
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>

You need to specify the *stimulus* element you want to display, i.e, the relevant <picture element>, see #1.

<trial esquerdo>
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>
Dave,

By implementing the chages you suggested, I got rid of the error messages. However, there are some other issues to fix. 

1) I need a left and a right button to be shown on each screen just below each picture (just as a matter of illustration, for participants will answer by using the keybord keys). I was able to do it in the previous scripts, but it is not working anymore somehow.
The elements related to the exhibition of the right button are text ladodireito and shape direitobg. The elements related to the left button are text ladoesquerdo and shape esquerdobg.

2) I need that the current balance be shown after ech picture, so that the participant be able to follow his or her performance after each answer given.  

3) I need participants to be able to click on something or press a key and freeze the exhibition of the images for as long as they want to, if they want to.

Can you help me with that?

By Dave - 8/26/2019

Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Hi!

Thanks in advance.

#1:

<picture dot>
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<picture dot_esquerdo>
/ items = imgesquerdo
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<picture dot_direito>
/ items = imgdireito
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<item imgesquerdo>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image03.jpg"
/ 3 = "image05.jpg"
/ 4 = "image07.jpg"
/ 5 = "image09.jpg"
/ 6 = "image11.jpg"
/ 7 = "image13.jpg"
/ 8 = "image15.jpg"
/ 9 = "image17.jpg"
/ 10 = "image19.jpg"
</item>

<item imgdireito>
/ 1 = "image02.jpg"
/ 2 = "image04.jpg"
/ 3 = "image06.jpg"
/ 4 = "image08.jpg"
/ 5 = "image10.jpg"
/ 6 = "image12.jpg"
/ 7 = "image14.jpg"
/ 8 = "image16.jpg"
/ 9 = "image18.jpg"
/ 10 = "image20.jpg"
</item>

<defaults>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ txcolor = (white)
</defaults>

<trial esquerdo>
</trial>

<trial esquerdo>
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>

<trial esquerdo>
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>
Dave,

By implementing the chages you suggested, I got rid of the error messages. However, there are some other issues to fix. 

1) I need a left and a right button to be shown on each screen just below each picture (just as a matter of illustration, for participants will answer by using the keybord keys). I was able to do it in the previous scripts, but it is not working anymore somehow.
The elements related to the exhibition of the right button are text ladodireito and shape direitobg. The elements related to the left button are text ladoesquerdo and shape esquerdobg.

2) I need that the current balance be shown after ech picture, so that the participant be able to follow his or her performance after each answer given.  

3) I need participants to be able to click on something or press a key and freeze the exhibition of the images for as long as they want to, if they want to.

Re. 1)

Display the elements you wish to display via the relevant trials' /stimulusframes.

<trial direito>
/ correctresponse = ("I")
/ stimulusframes = [1 = direito, direitobg, ladodireito, esquerdobg, ladoesquerdo]
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>

and same for <trial esquerdo>. This is elementary stuff, so -- again -- please take the time and work through the tutorials again. You are going to save yourself a lot of headaches.

2) This too is elementary. /branch to a trial that displays the balance after the choice trials (direito and esquerdo).

3) You can't have participants click on something, you're using the keyboard as inputdevice. Define a third valid response in trial direito and trial esquerdo, and /branch to a trial that does not time out and displays the dot pattern if that third response occurs.
By Dave - 8/27/2019

Dave - 8/27/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Hi!

Thanks in advance.

#1:

<picture dot>
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<picture dot_esquerdo>
/ items = imgesquerdo
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<picture dot_direito>
/ items = imgdireito
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<item imgesquerdo>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image03.jpg"
/ 3 = "image05.jpg"
/ 4 = "image07.jpg"
/ 5 = "image09.jpg"
/ 6 = "image11.jpg"
/ 7 = "image13.jpg"
/ 8 = "image15.jpg"
/ 9 = "image17.jpg"
/ 10 = "image19.jpg"
</item>

<item imgdireito>
/ 1 = "image02.jpg"
/ 2 = "image04.jpg"
/ 3 = "image06.jpg"
/ 4 = "image08.jpg"
/ 5 = "image10.jpg"
/ 6 = "image12.jpg"
/ 7 = "image14.jpg"
/ 8 = "image16.jpg"
/ 9 = "image18.jpg"
/ 10 = "image20.jpg"
</item>

<defaults>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ txcolor = (white)
</defaults>

<trial esquerdo>
</trial>

<trial esquerdo>
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>

<trial esquerdo>
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>
Dave,

Re. 1)

Display the elements you wish to display via the relevant trials' /stimulusframes.

<trial direito>
/ stimulusframes = [1 = direito, direitobg, ladodireito, esquerdobg, ladoesquerdo]
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>

and same for <trial esquerdo>. This is elementary stuff, so -- again -- please take the time and work through the tutorials again. You are going to save yourself a lot of headaches.

2) This too is elementary. /branch to a trial that displays the balance after the choice trials (direito and esquerdo).

3) You can't have participants click on something, you're using the keyboard as inputdevice. Define a third valid response in trial direito and trial esquerdo, and /branch to a trial that does not time out and displays the dot pattern if that third response occurs.

Please study the attached script carefully until you understand what it does and how it works.
By JessicaEMFarias - 8/28/2019

Dave - 8/27/2019
Dave - 8/27/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Dave - 8/26/2019
Hi!

Thanks in advance.

#1:

<picture dot>
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<picture dot_esquerdo>
/ items = imgesquerdo
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<picture dot_direito>
/ items = imgdireito
/ size = (65%, 65%)
/ position = (50%, 45%)
</picture>

<item imgesquerdo>
/ 1 = "image01.jpg"
/ 2 = "image03.jpg"
/ 3 = "image05.jpg"
/ 4 = "image07.jpg"
/ 5 = "image09.jpg"
/ 6 = "image11.jpg"
/ 7 = "image13.jpg"
/ 8 = "image15.jpg"
/ 9 = "image17.jpg"
/ 10 = "image19.jpg"
</item>

<item imgdireito>
/ 1 = "image02.jpg"
/ 2 = "image04.jpg"
/ 3 = "image06.jpg"
/ 4 = "image08.jpg"
/ 5 = "image10.jpg"
/ 6 = "image12.jpg"
/ 7 = "image14.jpg"
/ 8 = "image16.jpg"
/ 9 = "image18.jpg"
/ 10 = "image20.jpg"
</item>

<defaults>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ txcolor = (white)
</defaults>

<trial esquerdo>
</trial>

<trial esquerdo>
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>

<trial esquerdo>
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>
Dave,

Re. 1)

<trial direito>
/ posttrialpause = 250
/timeout = 1000
</trial>

Please study the attached script carefully until you understand what it does and how it works.

Thanks, Dave. I have been studying it. 

Now I am trying to find a way to alternate the colors of the items' background in the measures under <survey demographics> in a way that makes it easier for participants distinguish the items from one another. Do you know if it is possible to do that?
Also, do you know if it is possible to set the sliders' answers in a way that the answer is only accepted if the person clicks on a different part of the slider first (the cursor is always set in the middle) or if is there is a way to set the sliders to be presented with no answer at all ? The way the options are being presented now the cursor is always presented in the middle and I think it might be that some participants do not change it and just move forward, resulting in a bias in the answers.

By Dave - 8/28/2019

JessicaEMFarias - 8/28/2019

Thanks, Dave. I have been studying it. 

Now I am trying to find a way to alternate the colors of the items' background in the measures under <survey demographics> in a way that makes it easier for participants distinguish the items from one another. Do you know if it is possible to do that?
Also, do you know if it is possible to set the sliders' answers in a way that the answer is only accepted if the person clicks on a different part of the slider first (the cursor is always set in the middle) or if is there is a way to set the sliders to be presented with no answer at all ? The way the options are being presented now the cursor is always presented in the middle and I think it might be that some participants do not change it and just move forward, resulting in a bias in the answers.

> Now I am trying to find a way to alternate the colors of the items' background in the measures under <survey demographics> in a way that makes it easier for participants distinguish the items from one another. Do you know if it is possible to do that?

It is not possible.

> Also, do you know if it is possible to set the sliders' answers in a way that the answer is only accepted if the person clicks on a different part of the slider first (the cursor is always set in the middle).

Set /required=true in the <slider> elements.

<slider exampleslider>
/ caption = "Can't move on unless you move it first."
/ range = (1,5)
/ required = true
</slider>

<surveypage examplepage>
/ questions = [1=exampleslider]
</surveypage>

<survey mysurvey>
/ pages = [1=examplepage]
</survey>

> or if is there is a way to set the sliders to be presented with no answer at all ?

No, there is no way to have sliders not display an answer at all.