Millisecond Forums

Likert rating following stimuli presentation

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic28146.aspx

By MinghuiNi - 1/21/2020

Hi, I am trying to code an experiment, where on each trial, participants are presented with a prime picture, then a target picture, and then a white noise pattern. While the noise pattern is presented, participants need to make a rating on a scale of 1-7. This experiment is a modification of the Affect Misattribution Procedure (AMP) which has the code as follows: 

<trial primeA>
/ validresponse = ("E", "I")
/ correctresponse = ("I")
/ stimulustimes = [0=primeA; 75=blank; 200=target; 300=mask]
/ontrialend = [values.primestim = picture.primea.currentitemnumber; values.targetstim = picture.target.currentitemnumber]
/ beginresponsetime = (200)
</trial>

In this original AMP, participants only need to respond by pressing the key "E" or "I". But I want to change it to asking participants to rate on a scale of 1-7. I managed to modify the code so that participants can press "1" to "7" on the keyboard to indicate their rating. 

<trial implicit>
/ stimulustimes = [0=prime_name; 75=target_pictograph; 175=mask, rating_scale]
/ ontrialend = [values.primestim = text.prime_name.currentitemnumber; values.targetstim = picture.target_pictograph.currentitemnumber]
/ beginresponsetime = (150)
/ recorddata = true
/ validresponse = ("1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7")
</trial>

But it would be better if they could click button "1" to "7". Could you please give me some hints about how to achieve this? Thank you! 

By Dave - 1/22/2020

MinghuiNi - 1/22/2020
Hi, I am trying to code an experiment, where on each trial, participants are presented with a prime picture, then a target picture, and then a white noise pattern. While the noise pattern is presented, participants need to make a rating on a scale of 1-7. This experiment is a modification of the Affect Misattribution Procedure (AMP) which has the code as follows: 

<trial primeA>
/ validresponse = ("E", "I")
/ correctresponse = ("I")
/ stimulustimes = [0=primeA; 75=blank; 200=target; 300=mask]
/ontrialend = [values.primestim = picture.primea.currentitemnumber; values.targetstim = picture.target.currentitemnumber]
/ beginresponsetime = (200)
</trial>

In this original AMP, participants only need to respond by pressing the key "E" or "I". But I want to change it to asking participants to rate on a scale of 1-7. I managed to modify the code so that participants can press "1" to "7" on the keyboard to indicate their rating. 

<trial implicit>
/ stimulustimes = [0=prime_name; 75=target_pictograph; 175=mask, rating_scale]
/ ontrialend = [values.primestim = text.prime_name.currentitemnumber; values.targetstim = picture.target_pictograph.currentitemnumber]
/ recorddata = true
/ validresponse = ("1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7")
</trial>

But it would be better if they could click button "1" to "7". Could you please give me some hints about how to achieve this? Thank you! 

Just use a <likert> element instead of a <trial>: https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/elements/likert.htm

<likert implicit>
/ stimulustimes = [0=prime_name; 75=target_pictograph; 175=mask]
/ recorddata = true
/ numpoints = 7
/ anchorwidth = 5%
/ position = (50%, 75%)
/ inputdevice = mouse
</likert>
By MinghuiNi - 1/22/2020

Thank you so much!