Millisecond Forums

Flexible IAT script for public use

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic28589.aspx

By AKrishna - 3/23/2020

Dear all,

as online experiments are going to be more heavily leaned on in the next couple of months, I thought I might share a resource that I programmed. Often (in my workgroup at least), design decisions for online experiments are influenced by factors of time. Sometimes, changes are made quite late in the process, and if you're the one programming, suddenly having to change an IAT into a brief IAT can be a headache.

This is why I programmed the attached script. It's an IAT script that allows you to switch between a full IAT and a brief IAT simply by changing a single parameter in the script. You can also flexibly control trial numbers per block. It will also perform winsorizing for you if you want. It's constructed according to recommendations by Richetin et al. (2015, Plos One), so it doesn't allow full customization of all possible variants, but it may still be useful for some of you! Please note that as is, it only supports text stimuli for the IAT (no pictures). If people want to use it, though, I could probably implement a picture variant relatively easily.

You can include it in your own Inquisit script using <include> (see documentation) or copy/paste the content if you prefer. The script file requires some editing before use (basic stuff like setting up your stimuli), all of which is documented in the file itself.

Please note that this is NOT an official Inquisit test library script! I've used it before in my research and I trust it, but to err is human, so use at your own risk. I am open to feedback about the user manual or features you might want - I can't promise I'll do everything, but I'm sure I can support the script at least a little!