Millisecond Forums

Participants not able to type in a survey textbox

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic28818.aspx

By MelanieHelvick - 4/21/2020

We are currently setting up a study through inquisit player to run on Mturk. When testing there has been an inconsistent issue where on the last survey page the participants are asked to type in a confirmation code and are unable to type it in the textbox element. The issue has only happened on Macs, but has not happened consistently as it works on other Macs. One of the testers was able to swipe to a different screen then swipe back into the study at which point the textbox then let them enter text. 
I was just wondering if this is an issue that can be fixed or if it is just a glitch with their own personal computers?

Thank you for your help!
By Dave - 4/21/2020

MelanieHelvick - 4/21/2020
We are currently setting up a study through inquisit player to run on Mturk. When testing there has been an inconsistent issue where on the last survey page the participants are asked to type in a confirmation code and are unable to type it in the textbox element. The issue has only happened on Macs, but has not happened consistently as it works on other Macs. One of the testers was able to swipe to a different screen then swipe back into the study at which point the textbox then let them enter text. 
I was just wondering if this is an issue that can be fixed or if it is just a glitch with their own personal computers?

Thank you for your help!

Could you elaborate a bit on "unable to type it in the textbox element"? Is the textbox not activated and no cursor visible to click into it? Or is it activated and typing on the keyboard just does nothing?
By MelanieHelvick - 4/21/2020

Dave - 4/21/2020

Thank you for your help!

Could you elaborate a bit on "unable to type it in the textbox element"? Is the textbox not activated and no cursor visible to click into it? Or is it activated and typing on the keyboard just does nothing?

I believe the cursor was visible and that the textbox was activated, but typing on the keyboard did nothing.
By Dave - 4/21/2020

Dave - 4/21/2020

Thank you for your help!

I believe the cursor was visible and that the textbox was activated, but typing on the keyboard did nothing.

Never heard of or seen this one then, I'm afraid. Are there any input restrictions imposed on the given <textbox> element, per its /mask attribute?

What's known to occasionally happen (for unclear reasons) is that the mouse cursor is temporarily not displayed on surveypages, making it seem that navigating from question to question is not possible. In that case, pressing the TAB key should work to cycle between the questions and ultimately the mouse cursor should appear again.