Millisecond Forums

Best Method to do a Rank-Order

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic29147.aspx

By Michael Y - 5/29/2020

Hi Inquisit-5-Forums!

Super new to doing my own stuff in Inquisit I thought I'd try to ask here instead of delving into the manual anymore! I'm creating a very simple survey questionnaire. One of the questions (code below) involves participants ranking most important relationships to the least important. The code works great, however I've run into a bit of a snag. From what I can tell, using dropdowns I cannot guarantee that a confused participant would not list the same relationship twice. For example, a younger participant may erroneously put their 'Best Friend' for 1st and 2nd most important relationship.

Is there a way to guarantee answers are not repeated? If anyone has advice/code for a different kind of a survey method I'd love to hear it! Participants will likely be using touchpads which I'm trying to account for too. Dropdowns seemed like the simplest way to record the rankings I'm trying to do on one page. Thank you!

<surveypage Demo6>
/caption="Please rank the listed relationships from most important to least important. Do not list the same answer twice!"
/fontstyle=("Arial", 2%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/questions=[1=relationships1; 2=relationships2; 3=relationships3; 4=relationships4; 5=relationships5; 6=relationships6; 7=relationships7]
/showpagenumbers = false
/showquestionnumbers = false
/finishlabel="Next"
</surveypage>

<dropdown relationships1>
/caption="1st Most Important"
/options=("Best Friend", "Mother", "Father", "Sibling (or Cousin)", "Grandparent", "Teacher", "Romantic Partner", "Don't know/Don't want to answer")
/optionvalues=("1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "-99")
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships2>
/caption="2nd Most Important"
/options=("Best Friend", "Mother", "Father", "Sibling (or Cousin)", "Grandparent", "Teacher", "Romantic Partner", "Don't know/Don't want to answer")
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships3>
/caption="3rd Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships4>
/caption="4th Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships5>
/caption="5th Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships6>
/caption="6th Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships7>
/caption="7th Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>
By Dave - 6/1/2020

Michael Y - 5/30/2020
Hi Inquisit-5-Forums!

Super new to doing my own stuff in Inquisit I thought I'd try to ask here instead of delving into the manual anymore! I'm creating a very simple survey questionnaire. One of the questions (code below) involves participants ranking most important relationships to the least important. The code works great, however I've run into a bit of a snag. From what I can tell, using dropdowns I cannot guarantee that a confused participant would not list the same relationship twice. For example, a younger participant may erroneously put their 'Best Friend' for 1st and 2nd most important relationship.

Is there a way to guarantee answers are not repeated? If anyone has advice/code for a different kind of a survey method I'd love to hear it! Participants will likely be using touchpads which I'm trying to account for too. Dropdowns seemed like the simplest way to record the rankings I'm trying to do on one page. Thank you!

<surveypage Demo6>
/caption="Please rank the listed relationships from most important to least important. Do not list the same answer twice!"
/fontstyle=("Arial", 2%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/questions=[1=relationships1; 2=relationships2; 3=relationships3; 4=relationships4; 5=relationships5; 6=relationships6; 7=relationships7]
/showpagenumbers = false
/showquestionnumbers = false
/finishlabel="Next"
</surveypage>

<dropdown relationships1>
/caption="1st Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships2>
/caption="2nd Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships3>
/caption="3rd Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships4>
/caption="4th Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships5>
/caption="5th Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships6>
/caption="6th Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>

<dropdown relationships7>
/caption="7th Most Important"
/required=true
</dropdown>

See e.g. https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost7524.aspx