Millisecond Forums

How to have additional html instructions during the experiment?

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic29224.aspx

By danielderbyshire - 6/12/2020

Hello all

I am attempting to merge two different IATs into the same .iqt so that respondents do one and then the other.

I would like to have a second set of instructions after the first IAT. Is this possible? (I note they are called preinstructions so I'm sceptical).

Am I right in thinking having the instructions as an image file and then creating a block that just displays the image is a work around (though not as flexible clearly)?

I hope I've explained what I am trying to do well and thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer. 

Kind regards,

Daniel
By Dave - 6/12/2020

danielderbyshire - 6/12/2020
Hello all

I am attempting to merge two different IATs into the same .iqt so that respondents do one and then the other.

I would like to have a second set of instructions after the first IAT. Is this possible? (I note they are called preinstructions so I'm sceptical).

Am I right in thinking having the instructions as an image file and then creating a block that just displays the image is a work around (though not as flexible clearly)?

I hope I've explained what I am trying to do well and thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer. 

Kind regards,

Daniel

Every <block> element has the capability to present pre- and postinstructions, so you can definitely do that without any issue whatsoever. Just insert a new instructions block after the first IAT and have that present the respective instruction pages (page or htmlpage elements).

Generally see https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/multiplescripts.htm

I'll note that typically running the two IATs back to back via a <batch> script instead of merging them into a single script is the easier and more convenient option.
By danielderbyshire - 6/12/2020

Dave - 6/12/2020
Hello all

Kind regards,

Daniel

Every <block> element has the capability to present pre- and postinstructions, so you can definitely do that without any issue whatsoever. Just insert a new instructions block after the first IAT and have that present the respective instruction pages (page or htmlpage elements).

Generally see https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/multiplescripts.htm

I'll note that typically running the two IATs back to back via a <batch> script instead of merging them into a single script is the easier and more convenient option.

Many thanks for the reply Dave. I don't have any spare web licenses at the moment so need to merge them really because I can't upload any more scripts. 

How do I tell a block to use an html instructions page? If I can do that then I can just have a block that is just the html instructions page in between the normal IAT blocks. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

By Dave - 6/12/2020

Dave - 6/12/2020
Hello all

Kind regards,

Daniel

Many thanks for the reply Dave. I don't have any spare web licenses at the moment so need to merge them really because I can't upload any more scripts. 

How do I tell a block to use an html instructions page? If I can do that then I can just have a block that is just the html instructions page in between the normal IAT blocks. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

> I don't have any spare web licenses at the moment so need to merge them really because I can't upload any more scripts.

You don't need more than one license to use <batch> scripts and run several scripts in a row -- that all works just fine under a single license.

> How do I tell a block to use an html instructions page?

You define the <htmlpage> element in the script and then you put a /preinstructions attribute in the block referencing that element by name. It works in the exact same way as the other instruction pages that are already in the script.