Millisecond Forums

Erasing Stimulus at the END of a sequence of trials

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic29331.aspx

By Connorrr - 6/30/2020

Hi,

I have a series of trials and likerts that branch from one to the next.  I want to keep an image on in the background of all of these trials and then be removed at the end.  Originally I just reset the stimulus for each trial / likert but this meant that there was a blank frame in between each branch so instead I have the pictures erase value set to false.  This works just fine but I am not sure how to erase it at the end of this sequence.  Since I am running this sequence many times in a block will this just mean that new images layer over each other and take up more and more ram as the sequence goes on?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
By Dave - 7/1/2020

Connorrr - 7/1/2020
Hi,

I have a series of trials and likerts that branch from one to the next.  I want to keep an image on in the background of all of these trials and then be removed at the end.  Originally I just reset the stimulus for each trial / likert but this meant that there was a blank frame in between each branch so instead I have the pictures erase value set to false.  This works just fine but I am not sure how to erase it at the end of this sequence.  Since I am running this sequence many times in a block will this just mean that new images layer over each other and take up more and more ram as the sequence goes on?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

You could end each sequence with a trial that does nothing but erases the screen.

<trial erasescreen>
/ stimulusframes = [1=clearscreen]
/ validresponse = 0
/ trialduration = 40
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

or you could clear the screen in whatever the first trial in the sequence is (thus erasing anything left from the previous sequence).

<trial first>
/ stimulusframes = [1=clearscreen, mypicture]
</trial>

> Since I am running this sequence many times in a block will this just mean that new images layer over each other and take up more and more ram as the sequence goes on?

No.