Millisecond Forums

Tobii Plugin no longer working (Inquisit 5)

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic29646.aspx

By Musashi Jason - 8/31/2020

I'm working with Inquisit again after having been away from it for over a year...and for some reason am having trouble getting the Tobii Plugin to recognize and initialize my eye tracker. I'm using the TobiiPro Nano plugged directly into my Apple laptop with the USB interface. I used this same setup approximately a year ago to run a quick test and don't remember having any problems. The Tobii calibration software recognizes the eye tracker without issue and allows me to calibrate. When I try to run an experiment that contains the following at the beginning:

<eyetracker>
/ plugin = "tobii"
</eyetracker>
<expressions>
/ displaywithmm = display.getmmx(display.width)
/ displayheightmm = display.getmmy(display.height)
</expressions>

I get the following errors:

Tobii Eyetracker Error 30: 'Search for eye trackers on the network timed out.' [function connect]
Initialization of eye tracker failed
I suspect I'm making some elementary mistake...any help will be most appreciated.

Jason
By Dave - 9/1/2020

Musashi Jason - 9/1/2020
I'm working with Inquisit again after having been away from it for over a year...and for some reason am having trouble getting the Tobii Plugin to recognize and initialize my eye tracker. I'm using the TobiiPro Nano plugged directly into my Apple laptop with the USB interface. I used this same setup approximately a year ago to run a quick test and don't remember having any problems. The Tobii calibration software recognizes the eye tracker without issue and allows me to calibrate. When I try to run an experiment that contains the following at the beginning:

<eyetracker>
/ plugin = "tobii"
</eyetracker>
<expressions>
</expressions>

Tobii Eyetracker Error 30: 'Search for eye trackers on the network timed out.' [function connect]
I suspect I'm making some elementary mistake...any help will be most appreciated.

Jason

I ran this by the developers, and here's what they said:

"[Whether the tracker works with the v5 plugin], may be dependent on the eye tracker firmware version.

Other generic things that can cause connectivity issues with Tobii Eye Trackes on all platforms is firerwalls, etc. Also, on current versions of the macOS/Windows Operating system the network scanning technique used by the old SDK doesn't work well, so they may need to go into the Network Settings and look for the Tobii device and grab it's IP address and use the "/ ipaddress = " attribute of the <eyetracker> element to have it connect. That's probably the lowest hanging fruit possibility for making it work.

Failing that you'd have to check whether or not the firmware on their eye tracker has been updated. I've found that newer Tobii firmware sometimes breaks compatibility with the older SDK's (even older version of the Pro SDK)."

Since the Pro Nano, at least in its current firmware iteration, requires the Tobii Pro SDK, it may be worth checking whether the tracker connects okay using Inquisit 6, which uses the Pro SDK for its plugin, and if so consider upgrading to that version. (Inquisit 5 uses the predecessor SDK.)
By Musashi Jason - 9/7/2020

Dave - 9/1/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/1/2020

<eyetracker>
/ plugin = "tobii"
</eyetracker>
<expressions>
</expressions>

Jason

"[Whether the tracker works with the v5 plugin], may be dependent on the eye tracker firmware version.

Other generic things that can cause connectivity issues with Tobii Eye Trackes on all platforms is firerwalls, etc. Also, on current versions of the macOS/Windows Operating system the network scanning technique used by the old SDK doesn't work well, so they may need to go into the Network Settings and look for the Tobii device and grab it's IP address and use the "/ ipaddress = " attribute of the <eyetracker> element to have it connect. That's probably the lowest hanging fruit possibility for making it work.

Failing that you'd have to check whether or not the firmware on their eye tracker has been updated. I've found that newer Tobii firmware sometimes breaks compatibility with the older SDK's (even older version of the Pro SDK)."

Since the Pro Nano, at least in its current firmware iteration, requires the Tobii Pro SDK, it may be worth checking whether the tracker connects okay using Inquisit 6, which uses the Pro SDK for its plugin, and if so consider upgrading to that version. (Inquisit 5 uses the predecessor SDK.)

Dave,
Thanks for the reply. As a quick aside...the forum being used here doesn't  work well with Safari, does it? Took me a bit to figure that out. I'm using Firefox now and everything seems to be functional.

To the main point, I've installed Inquisit 6 and seem to have taken a step or two forward. I'm now getting the following error:

trial.trainingsession, datastreams, Missing '('

In the following context -->
/ stimulustimes = [0= clearscreen; 400=mypicturetrainT, mypicturetrainF, stimOnsetMarker; 450=correctopiontrain, distractoroptiontrain; 1199=stimOffsetMarker; 1200=mysoundtrain]
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ datastreams = eyetracker
Also, just to repeat some information from my previous post. The eyetracker is detected by the Tobii software and  I am able to calibrate it via that interface. It is connected directly to my computer via USB connection...not sure if an IP is the correct connection pathway in that case...?

Regards

Jason

Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Dave - 9/1/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/1/2020

<eyetracker>
/ plugin = "tobii"
</eyetracker>
<expressions>
</expressions>

Jason

Dave,
Thanks for the reply. As a quick aside...the forum being used here doesn't  work well with Safari, does it? Took me a bit to figure that out. I'm using Firefox now and everything seems to be functional.

To the main point, I've installed Inquisit 6 and seem to have taken a step or two forward. I'm now getting the following error:

/ stimulustimes = [0= clearscreen; 400=mypicturetrainT, mypicturetrainF, stimOnsetMarker; 450=correctopiontrain, distractoroptiontrain; 1199=stimOffsetMarker; 1200=mysoundtrain]
/ inputdevice = keyboard
Also, just to repeat some information from my previous post. The eyetracker is detected by the Tobii software and  I am able to calibrate it via that interface. It is connected directly to my computer via USB connection...not sure if an IP is the correct connection pathway in that case...?

Regards

Jason

Dave,
Sorry, I managed to get past that error fairly easily.

datastreams = (eyetracker)
seems to be the solution. I've moved on to the next set of errors...apparently various settings were changed from version 5 to 6?
groupid, subjectid, sessionid are all generating an error message --> "...Expression contains and unknown element or property name."
Regards
Jason

Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Dave - 9/1/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/1/2020

<eyetracker>
/ plugin = "tobii"
</eyetracker>
<expressions>
</expressions>

Jason

Dave,

/ inputdevice = keyboard

Regards

Jason

Dave,

seems to be the solution. I've moved on to the next set of errors...apparently various settings were changed from version 5 to 6?
groupid, subjectid, sessionid are all generating an error message --> "...Expression contains and unknown element or property name."
Regards
Jason

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The error is:

Element = eyetracker, Message  = 'groupid'  Expression contains an unknown element or property name.
I have the  same error for 'subjectid' and 'sessionid'

Jason
By Dave - 9/8/2020

Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Dave - 9/1/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/1/2020

<eyetracker>
/ plugin = "tobii"
</eyetracker>
<expressions>
</expressions>

Jason

Dave,

/ inputdevice = keyboard

Regards

Jason

Dave,

Regards
Jason

Element = eyetracker, Message  = 'groupid'  Expression contains an unknown element or property name.

Jason

You would need to share the part of the code the error pertains to, which should be the respective <eyetracker> element.
By Musashi Jason - 9/24/2020

Dave - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Dave - 9/1/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/1/2020

<eyetracker>
/ plugin = "tobii"
</eyetracker>
<expressions>
</expressions>

Jason

Dave,

/ inputdevice = keyboard

Regards

Jason

Dave,

Regards
Jason

Jason

You would need to share the part of the code the error pertains to, which should be the respective <eyetracker> element.

Dave,
Sorry for the long delay in my reply. Finally back in the lab where I can work with the eyetracker. I just connected it, launched the version of Inquisit 6 I downloaded to test out the experiment I have that no  longer works under Inquist 5 (not sure why) and although the program is telling me I have until October 8th to use the unlimited free trial, it will not run my experiment without a registration code.... I'm stuck :-(

Jason
By Dave - 9/25/2020

Musashi Jason - 9/25/2020
Dave - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Dave - 9/1/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/1/2020

<eyetracker>
/ plugin = "tobii"
</eyetracker>
<expressions>
</expressions>

Jason

Dave,

/ inputdevice = keyboard

Regards

Jason

Dave,

Regards
Jason

Jason

Dave,
Sorry for the long delay in my reply. Finally back in the lab where I can work with the eyetracker. I just connected it, launched the version of Inquisit 6 I downloaded to test out the experiment I have that no  longer works under Inquist 5 (not sure why) and although the program is telling me I have until October 8th to use the unlimited free trial, it will not run my experiment without a registration code.... I'm stuck :-(

Jason

Go to Help -> Tobii Registration... and check if the plugin's evaluation period has expired. If so, send me the computer key displayed there in a private message and I should be able to help.
By Musashi Jason - 12/14/2020

Dave - 9/25/2020
Dave - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Dave - 9/1/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/1/2020

<eyetracker>
/ plugin = "tobii"
</eyetracker>
<expressions>
</expressions>

Jason

Dave,

/ inputdevice = keyboard

Regards

Jason

Dave,

Regards
Jason

Jason

Dave,

Jason

Go to Help -> Tobii Registration... and check if the plugin's evaluation period has expired. If so, send me the computer key displayed there in a private message and I should be able to help.

Dave,
I've just upgraded from Inquisit 5 to 6 and also upgraded my Tobii plugin. I'm having the following issue(s) with a script that was working in Inquisit 5 with a Tobii eye tracker.

1. First issue (a new one) is that I have an external monitor attached and want to run the experiment on that monitor. Oddly, when Inquisit attempts to configure the Tobii eye tracker, the screen size used on the monitor is incorrect and a portion of the screen appears on a different display. If I manage to trick the eye tracker configuration and proceed to the next step (my experiment instructions page) the screen size is correct (i.e. it all appears only on the external display). Note - The Tobii eye tracker manager software has no trouble accessing and configuring with the external display.

2. After tapping the space bar to proceed from the explanation page, Inquisit crashes and gives me a list of four errors. (sorry, the errors below are listed in reverse order of how they appear in the Message list)
Invalid expression 'groupid'
'sessionid' Expression contains an unknown element or property name.
'subjectid' Expression contains an unknown element or property name.
'groupid' Expression contains an unknown element or property name.
These errors appear to be connected to the "Element" -> eyetracker

I'm using the following setup:

Apple MacBook Pro with an external display connected via USB-C. External display is a 15.6 inch (1920 X 1080) 144Hz display.
Inquisit 6
TobiiPro Nano
Tobii eye tracker plugin

I'm also attaching the script here. This is a script I've been using (working on) since 2018. It worked with a different Tobii eye tracker then but did not work with my current Tobii Nano until I upgraded to Inquisit 6.

Any assistance you can provide will be most appreciated.

Jason

Musashi Jason - 12/15/2020
Dave - 9/25/2020
Dave - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Dave - 9/1/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/1/2020

<eyetracker>
/ plugin = "tobii"
</eyetracker>
<expressions>
</expressions>

Jason

Dave,

/ inputdevice = keyboard

Regards

Jason

Dave,

Regards
Jason

Jason

Dave,

Jason

Dave,
I've just upgraded from Inquisit 5 to 6 and also upgraded my Tobii plugin. I'm having the following issue(s) with a script that was working in Inquisit 5 with a Tobii eye tracker.

1. First issue (a new one) is that I have an external monitor attached and want to run the experiment on that monitor. Oddly, when Inquisit attempts to configure the Tobii eye tracker, the screen size used on the monitor is incorrect and a portion of the screen appears on a different display. If I manage to trick the eye tracker configuration and proceed to the next step (my experiment instructions page) the screen size is correct (i.e. it all appears only on the external display). Note - The Tobii eye tracker manager software has no trouble accessing and configuring with the external display.

2. After tapping the space bar to proceed from the explanation page, Inquisit crashes and gives me a list of four errors. (sorry, the errors below are listed in reverse order of how they appear in the Message list)

Apple MacBook Pro with an external display connected via USB-C. External display is a 15.6 inch (1920 X 1080) 144Hz display.
Inquisit 6
TobiiPro Nano
Tobii eye tracker plugin

I'm also attaching the script here. This is a script I've been using (working on) since 2018. It worked with a different Tobii eye tracker then but did not work with my current Tobii Nano until I upgraded to Inquisit 6.

Jason

Dave,
A quick followup here:

1. I had two external displays connected. When I disconnect one of them the Tobii configuration works without issue. It seems the configuration script is not properly detecting the attached multiple displays but, no worries, I will not have the other display connected when actually running the experiment.
2. I downloaded the Corsi Block Tapping script for Inquisit 6.0 and when I run it I get the same errors: (listed below in display order)
Element             Message
eyetracker          'groupid' Expression contains and unknown element or property name.
eyetracker          'subjectid' Expression contains and unknown element or property name.
none listed          Invalid expression 'groupid'
Help will be most appreciated.
Jason
P.S. A different and unrelated issue/inquiry --> Is it possible to customize the configuration screen instructions? I would like to translate them to Japanese.

Dave - 9/25/2020
Dave - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/8/2020
Dave - 9/1/2020
Musashi Jason - 9/1/2020

<eyetracker>
/ plugin = "tobii"
</eyetracker>
<expressions>
</expressions>

Jason

Dave,

/ inputdevice = keyboard

Regards

Jason

Dave,

Regards
Jason

Jason

Dave,

Jason

Dave,

Inquisit 6
TobiiPro Nano
Tobii eye tracker plugin

Jason

Dave,
A quick followup here:

1. I had two external displays connected. When I disconnect one of them the Tobii configuration works without issue. It seems the configuration script is not properly detecting the attached multiple displays but, no worries, I will not have the other display connected when actually running the experiment.
2. I downloaded the Corsi Block Tapping script for Inquisit 6.0 and when I run it I get the same errors: (listed below in display order)
Element             Message
eyetracker          'groupid' Expression contains and unknown element or property name.
eyetracker          'subjectid' Expression contains and unknown element or property name.
none listed          Invalid expression 'groupid'
Help will be most appreciated.
Jason
P.S. A different and unrelated issue/inquiry --> Is it possible to customize the configuration screen instructions? I would like to translate them to Japanese.

Dave,
Sorry, as usual, I am talking to myself here. I should have experimented a bit more before posting. I've removed groupid and subjectid from the eyetracker columns element (see below) and the script now works.

/ columns = (date, time, groupid, subjectid, timestamp, focuspixelx, focuspixely, focusfixationpixelx, focusfixationpixely)

changed to

/ columns = (date, time, timestamp, focuspixelx, focuspixely, focusfixationpixelx, focusfixationpixely)

I'm having a problem with voicerecord now but will experiment more before posting again.

Possibly the Tobii nano does not use groupid and subjectid?

Regards

Jason