Millisecond Forums

Opening media from a github repo

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic29808.aspx

By factitious - 10/5/2020

Hi Dave,

I have another question: I'm trying to run scripts hosted on the Millisecond server to play videos from a public github repo but I get the errors below. From what I understand the files are world-readable in a public github repo so this should work, am I wrong? If so, could you potentially suggest another server for hosting video files for my experiment? 

Errors:
    "Failed to load media from '/var/folders/6w/qtkq3n592ddd_1mlz51w5wxc0000gn/T/#myvideofilename#'! Error: Cannot Open"
AND
   "Unable to the load media file '/var/folders/6w/qtkq3n592ddd_1mlz51w5wxc0000gn/T/#myvideofilename#'.mov'."

So I gather that Inquisit tries to save the videos as temporary files/cache and then either fails to download them properly or doesn't have the appropriate permissions to access files in var/folders/? 
Do you have any ideas as to what's happening or how to fix it? 

Thank you again,
Raul

By Dave - 10/5/2020

factitious - 10/5/2020
Hi Dave,

I have another question: I'm trying to run scripts hosted on the Millisecond server to play videos from a public github repo but I get the errors below. From what I understand the files are world-readable in a public github repo so this should work, am I wrong? If so, could you potentially suggest another server for hosting video files for my experiment? 

Errors:
    "Failed to load media from '/var/folders/6w/qtkq3n592ddd_1mlz51w5wxc0000gn/T/#myvideofilename#'! Error: Cannot Open"
AND
   "Unable to the load media file '/var/folders/6w/qtkq3n592ddd_1mlz51w5wxc0000gn/T/#myvideofilename#'.mov'."

So I gather that Inquisit tries to save the videos as temporary files/cache and then either fails to download them properly or doesn't have the appropriate permissions to access files in var/folders/? 

Thank you again,
Raul

At a minimum you need to use the "raw" github URL; you'll want to check with github first though, since hotlinking like that may violate their terms of service.
By factitious - 10/5/2020

Dave - 10/5/2020
factitious - 10/5/2020
Hi Dave,

Errors:
AND

Thank you again,
Raul

At a minimum you need to use the "raw" github URL; you'll want to check with github first though, since hotlinking like that may violate their terms of service.

Thank you, that worked!

I checked, and while it's not encouraged I don't believe it violates their terms of service. We're not dealing with huge amounts of data so hopefully shouldn't be an issue for anyone.