Millisecond Forums

converting inquisit 5 script to inquisit 4

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic29871.aspx

By gehaffner - 10/12/2020

Hi there,

I am working on a dot probe script and my lab at school only has access to inquisit 4, but the script is in inquisit 5. I have read some of the forums on converting the scripts but am having difficulty getting it to comply. Any tips on getting this script to work on a lower version?
By Dave - 10/12/2020

gehaffner - 10/12/2020
Hi there,

I am working on a dot probe script and my lab at school only has access to inquisit 4, but the script is in inquisit 5. I have read some of the forums on converting the scripts but am having difficulty getting it to comply. Any tips on getting this script to work on a lower version?

The same things as listed here https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic27214.aspx and here https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic26082.aspx

Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/12/2020
Hi there,

The same things as listed here https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic27214.aspx and here https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic26082.aspx

Thank You!

I had a follow-up question. I'm having a hard time determining what to do with the <list> elements. Should expressions and all references to lists be deleted and then redo it under values?
By Dave - 10/12/2020

gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/12/2020
Hi there,

Thank You!

I had a follow-up question. I'm having a hard time determining what to do with the <list> elements. Should expressions and all references to lists be deleted and then redo it under values?

You can leave the <list> elements in the script as they are, nor do you need to remove the references to the list elements in any of the /ontrialend logic. What you need to do, however, is change the <expressions> to calculate the means etc. based on values that you some up in the <trial> element's /ontrialend logic.

I.e.

<expressions>
/ propcorrect_congruent_Category2 = list.accuracy_Category2_C.mean
</expressions>

needs to be changed to something like

<expressions>
/ propcorrect_congruent_Category2 = (values.ncorrect_congruent_category2/values.ntotal_congruent_category2)
</expressions>

where values.ncorrect_congruent_category2 is the value where you sum up the correct responses in congruent category 2 trials and values.ntotal_congruent_category2 is where you sum up the total number of congruent category 2 trials and so forth.

Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/12/2020
Hi there,

Thank You!

You can leave the <list> elements in the script as they are, nor do you need to remove the references to the list elements in any of the /ontrialend logic. What you need to do, however, is change the <expressions> to calculate the means etc. based on values that you some up in the <trial> element's /ontrialend logic.

I.e.

<expressions>
</expressions>

<expressions>
/ propcorrect_congruent_Category2 = (values.ncorrect_congruent_category2/values.ntotal_congruent_category2)
</expressions>

where values.ncorrect_congruent_category2 is the value where you sum up the correct responses in congruent category 2 trials and values.ntotal_congruent_category2 is where you sum up the total number of congruent category 2 trials and so forth.

Thank you so much for this. Below is a bit of what I edited - does this look roughly correct?

/ propcorrect_congruent_Category2 = values.sumcorrect_congruent_category2/values.count_congruent_category2
/ propcorrect_incongruent_Category2 = values.sumcorrect_incongruent_category2/values.count_incongruent_category2
/ meanRT_congruent_Category2 = values.sumrt_congruent_category2/values.sumrt
/ meanRT_incongruent_Category2 = values.sumrt_incongruent_category2/values.sumrt
/ AB_category2 = expressions.meanRT_incongruent_category2 - expressions.meanRT_congruent_category2
</expressions>
By Dave - 10/13/2020

gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/12/2020
Hi there,

Thank You!

I.e.

<expressions>
</expressions>

<expressions>
</expressions>

Thank you so much for this. Below is a bit of what I edited - does this look roughly correct?

/ propcorrect_congruent_Category2 = values.sumcorrect_congruent_category2/values.count_congruent_category2
/ propcorrect_incongruent_Category2 = values.sumcorrect_incongruent_category2/values.count_incongruent_category2
/ meanRT_incongruent_Category2 = values.sumrt_incongruent_category2/values.sumrt
/ AB_category2 = expressions.meanRT_incongruent_category2 - expressions.meanRT_congruent_category2
</expressions>

It does look roughly correct, though I'm not sure about

If you want to calculate a mean, then you'll want to divide by the number (count) of relevant trials, not by a sum. Of course I can't see what your "values.sumrt" actually is -- i.e. whether it's a count of those trials or -- as the name would seem to imply -- another sum of response latencies. If the latter, that'd be obviously wrong and wouldn't yield a mean.
By gehaffner - 10/14/2020

Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/12/2020
Hi there,

Thank You!

I.e.

<expressions>
</expressions>

<expressions>
</expressions>

</expressions>

If you want to calculate a mean, then you'll want to divide by the number (count) of relevant trials, not by a sum. Of course I can't see what your "values.sumrt" actually is -- i.e. whether it's a count of those trials or -- as the name would seem to imply -- another sum of response latencies. If the latter, that'd be obviously wrong and wouldn't yield a mean.

Ok great! I made some changes and the script when run in inquisit 4 now only has 6 errors, however I am having a hard time interpreting what they mean. I can find them but am not sure what to change. Any ideas? I appreciate it!
By Dave - 10/14/2020

gehaffner - 10/14/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/12/2020
Hi there,

Thank You!

I.e.

<expressions>
</expressions>

<expressions>
</expressions>

</expressions>

Ok great! I made some changes and the script when run in inquisit 4 now only has 6 errors, however I am having a hard time interpreting what they mean. I can find them but am not sure what to change. Any ideas? I appreciate it!

There is no such thing as a "nextvalues" property. There is only a "nextvalue" (note:singular) property.

You have a missing statement separator (;) somewhere in <trial category1> and <trial category2>'s /ontrialend logic.

Since you did not share the actual code, I cannot say anything about the last error.
By gehaffner - 10/14/2020

Dave - 10/14/2020
gehaffner - 10/14/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/12/2020
Hi there,

Thank You!

I.e.

<expressions>
</expressions>

<expressions>
</expressions>

</expressions>

There is no such thing as a "nextvalues" property. There is only a "nextvalue" (note:singular) property.

You have a missing statement separator (;) somewhere in <trial category1> and <trial category2>'s /ontrialend logic.

Since you did not share the actual code, I cannot say anything about the last error.

Got it and it works!! Thank you so much for the help.
By gehaffner - 10/15/2020

Dave - 10/14/2020
gehaffner - 10/14/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/12/2020
Hi there,

Thank You!

I.e.

<expressions>
</expressions>

<expressions>
</expressions>

</expressions>

last thing: it runs now in inquisit 4, but the instructions page format is a little bunched up / squished in version 4 than how it appears in version 5. I want to edit the parameters of it so the participants can see it clearly. What should I edit in this section?
By Dave - 10/15/2020

gehaffner - 10/15/2020
Dave - 10/14/2020
gehaffner - 10/14/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/12/2020
Hi there,

Thank You!

I.e.

<expressions>
</expressions>

<expressions>
</expressions>

</expressions>

last thing: it runs now in inquisit 4, but the instructions page format is a little bunched up / squished in version 4 than how it appears in version 5. I want to edit the parameters of it so the participants can see it clearly. What should I edit in this section?

<instruct>
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 2.80%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ txcolor = black
/ windowsize = (90%, 90%)
</instruct>

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v4/html/language/attributes/windowsize.htm