Millisecond Forums

Textbox help - is it possible to have the answer recorded without pressing continue?

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic30129.aspx

By maya_mcg - 11/12/2020

In my experiment, I have a task where the participant has to look at a word, unscramble it, and then type the correct answer into a textbox. I am recording response times. I am wondering if it is possible to avoid the step where the participant must click "continue" as that might increase their time. Instead, is there any way for the participant's answer to be marked as correct as soon as the correct word is typed into the textbox? Or will it always be required for them to click continue?

Thanks in advance

Maya
By Dave - 11/12/2020

maya_mcg - 11/12/2020
In my experiment, I have a task where the participant has to look at a word, unscramble it, and then type the correct answer into a textbox. I am recording response times. I am wondering if it is possible to avoid the step where the participant must click "continue" as that might increase their time. Instead, is there any way for the participant's answer to be marked as correct as soon as the correct word is typed into the textbox? Or will it always be required for them to click continue?

Thanks in advance

Maya

You can use <openended> trials and configure them such that pressing ENTER submits the response instead of a click on the continue button. But some indication that the participant is done and wishes to submit their response is necessary. If you want to disregard any time spent after they stopped typing, you should look at using lastcharlatency, not overall latency as the relevant metric:

<openended example>
/ stimulusframes = [1=instr]
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ multiline = false
/ position = (50%, 55%)
/ size = (20%, 5%)
</openended>

<text instr>
/ items = ("Type something and hit ENTER when done")
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<data>
/ columns = (subject trialnum trialcode response latency openended.example.lastcharlatency)
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

<block exampleblock>
/ trials = [1-2 = example]
</block>
By maya_mcg - 11/13/2020

Dave - 11/12/2020
maya_mcg - 11/12/2020

Thanks in advance

Maya

You can use <openended> trials and configure them such that pressing ENTER submits the response instead of a click on the continue button. But some indication that the participant is done and wishes to submit their response is necessary. If you want to disregard any time spent after they stopped typing, you should look at using lastcharlatency, not overall latency as the relevant metric:

<openended example>
/ stimulusframes = [1=instr]
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ multiline = false
/ position = (50%, 55%)
/ size = (20%, 5%)
</openended>

<text instr>
/ items = ("Type something and hit ENTER when done")
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<data>
/ columns = (subject trialnum trialcode response latency openended.example.lastcharlatency)
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

<block exampleblock>
/ trials = [1-2 = example]
</block>

Okay, great!

Thank you so much for your help, Dave. Your quick responses are greatly appreciated.

Maya