Millisecond Forums

Support for Inquisit 5 in MacOS BigSur

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic30322.aspx

By kev_dent - 11/30/2020

Dear Millisecond,

I am trying out a version of MacOS BigSur, and was wondering if Inquisit 5 is supported on this system?
When I install inquisit 5 I get a message telling me that the installer is trying to install something in the system, that the OS has blocked.
This is not just the unknown developer message but something else, I wonder what this is?

Best

Kevin
By Dave - 11/30/2020

kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dear Millisecond,

I am trying out a version of MacOS BigSur, and was wondering if Inquisit 5 is supported on this system?
When I install inquisit 5 I get a message telling me that the installer is trying to install something in the system, that the OS has blocked.
This is not just the unknown developer message but something else, I wonder what this is?

Best

Kevin

Inquisit Lab 5 is only partly compatible with Big Sur. While you can run scripts, you will not be able to edit them with Inquisit 5 Lab under Big Sur since its editor component is not compatible with Big Sur (Inquisit 6 Lab's editor works fine under Big Sur). The installer message is about the kernel extension Inquisit 5 uses to support parallel port interfacing under MacOS. You can allow or disallow it, depending on whether you need that ability or not.
By kev_dent - 11/30/2020

Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dear Millisecond,

Best

Kevin

Inquisit Lab 5 is only partly compatible with Big Sur. While you can run scripts, you will not be able to edit them with Inquisit 5 Lab under Big Sur since its editor component is not compatible with Big Sur (Inquisit 6 Lab's editor works fine under Big Sur). The installer message is about the kernel extension Inquisit 5 uses to support parallel port interfacing under MacOS. You can allow or disallow it, depending on whether you need that ability or not.

Thanks for the reply. Will Inquisit 5 be updated for Big Sur compatibility?
By Dave - 11/30/2020

kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dear Millisecond,

Best

Kevin

No final decision has been made, but it is unlikely that Inquisit 5 will see another update.
By kev_dent - 11/30/2020

Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dear Millisecond,

Best

Kevin

No final decision has been made, but it is unlikely that Inquisit 5 will see another update.

Is it possible to edit Inquisit 5 scripts within the Inquisit 6 editor, making sure to save them as Inquisit 5 scripts? That could be a workaround?

By Dave - 11/30/2020

kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dear Millisecond,

Best

Kevin

Is it possible to edit Inquisit 5 scripts within the Inquisit 6 editor, making sure to save them as Inquisit 5 scripts? That could be a workaround?

You can use Inquisit 6 Lab to create and/or edit scripts. As long as you make sure to avoid any syntax constructs new to Inquisit 6 / not available in Inquisit 5, those scripts will work fine under Inquisit 5.
By xizhouxie - 12/7/2020

Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dear Millisecond,

Best

Kevin

You can use Inquisit 6 Lab to create and/or edit scripts. As long as you make sure to avoid any syntax constructs new to Inquisit 6 / not available in Inquisit 5, those scripts will work fine under Inquisit 5.

So does that mean we run the free trial for inquisit 6 lab? When I tried to use my license (for inquisit 5) to register inquisit 6 it doesn't not work
By Dave - 12/7/2020

xizhouxie - 12/7/2020
Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dave - 11/30/2020
kev_dent - 11/30/2020
Dear Millisecond,

Best

Kevin

So does that mean we run the free trial for inquisit 6 lab? When I tried to use my license (for inquisit 5) to register inquisit 6 it doesn't not work

> So does that mean we run the free trial for inquisit 6 lab?

Yes. You can continue to edit and create scripts even after the trial period has ended.

> When I tried to use my license (for inquisit 5) to register inquisit 6 it doesn't not work.

It's not supposed to. Inquisit 5 registration keys will only work for Inquisit 5, and Inquisit 6 registration keys will only work for Inquisit 6. If you want to be able to register Inquisit 6 Lab, you would need to upgrade your license to Inquisit 6.