Millisecond Forums

Inquisit 6 crash on Mac

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic30440.aspx

By uni-student92084 - 12/26/2020

Hello!
This isn't related to coding on Inquisit but whenever I run my script my inquisit app on my Mac laptop can't make it past the few pages of instructions and the app quits unexpectedly. 

The script isn't very long but my app cant make it past the instructions and crashes. I have tried to  restart my computer but the issue continues . I can run my past scripts but just not the one I am currently working on. I will post the script I am working on below if that help in solving the issue. 

Could you please help me figure out how to fix this issue? Thank you!

By Dave - 12/28/2020

uni-student92084 - 12/27/2020
Hello!
This isn't related to coding on Inquisit but whenever I run my script my inquisit app on my Mac laptop can't make it past the few pages of instructions and the app quits unexpectedly. 

The script isn't very long but my app cant make it past the instructions and crashes. I have tried to  restart my computer but the issue continues . I can run my past scripts but just not the one I am currently working on. I will post the script I am working on below if that help in solving the issue. 

You've instructed your script to display a stimulus called "error" as erromessage, and a stimulus called "correct" as correctmessage:

<block fraud_per>
/bgstim = (G1_IY, G1_EN, CounA_Dem)
/trials = [1=fraud_per]
/errormessage = true(error, 1000)
/ correctmessage = true(correct, 1000)
/ preinstructions = ( page.g1page1, page.g1page2)
</block>

No such stimuli are defined anywhere in the script, hence the crash. Add

<text correct>
/ items = ("CORRECT")
/ txcolor = green
/ position = (50%, 65%)
</text>

<text error>
/ items = ("ERROR")
/ txcolor = red
/ position = (50%, 65%)
</text>

and it'll work.
By uni-student92084 - 12/28/2020

Dave - 12/28/2020
Hello!

You've instructed your script to display a stimulus called "error" as erromessage, and a stimulus called "correct" as correctmessage:

<block fraud_per>
/trials = [1=fraud_per]
</block>

<text correct>
/ items = ("CORRECT")
/ txcolor = green
/ position = (50%, 65%)
</text>

<text error>
/ items = ("ERROR")
/ txcolor = red
/ position = (50%, 65%)
</text>

and it'll work.

Thanks so much Dave!
I had no idea that Inquisit would crash with this kind of mistake, again thank you for the guidance!

Have a good new year!
By Dave - 12/28/2020

uni-student92084 - 12/28/2020
Dave - 12/28/2020
Hello!

<block fraud_per>
/trials = [1=fraud_per]
</block>

<text correct>
/ items = ("CORRECT")
/ txcolor = green
/ position = (50%, 65%)
</text>

<text error>
/ items = ("ERROR")
/ txcolor = red
/ position = (50%, 65%)
</text>

and it'll work.

Thanks so much Dave!
I had no idea that Inquisit would crash with this kind of mistake, again thank you for the guidance!

Have a good new year!

Normally the parser will catch such mistakes before script execution begins. However, both "error" and "correct" -- the names you have chosen for the (non-existent) stimuli -- are special keywords in Inquisit syntax, so the parser does not correctly infer the meaning and misses the fact that there are stimulus elements missing. Had you chosen different, non-keyword names, e.g.

<block fraud_per>
/ bgstim = (G1_IY, G1_EN, CounA_Dem)
/ trials = [1=fraud_per]
/ errormessage = true(errormsg, 1000)
/ correctmessage = true(correctmsg, 1000)
/ preinstructions = (page.g1page1, page.g1page2)
</block>

then the parser would have caught the mistakes: