Millisecond Forums

Image-scrolling task with multiple responses recorded in single trial

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic30601.aspx

By ashleym - 1/26/2021

Hi,

I am creating a task that is supposed to look similar to Instagram (scroll-and-click on images). I have attached the basic script of my task, but I have several issues/questions that I have not yet been able to figure out (I am still learning Inquisit, slowly!). In the script, the first section is the current basic task code; there is also code at the bottom under "Tests" that shows a few of the many different things I've tried. I guess some of my questions are about general functionality (i.e., can Inquisit do this and how?), whereas some of the others are about how to write some particular line of code.

A description of the task and questions are outlined below. We are using Inquisit 5 Web.
If anyone can help me, I would sincerely appreciate it!!

Thank you in advance!!!
Ashley
------------------------------------------------------

In this task, participants will scroll through what looks similar to an Instagram feed. They will view 16 instagram-type images and they can "like" an image by clicking on the heart underneath it, "share" an image by clicking on the arrow underneath it, or they can "keep scrolling" to the next image. Participants need to be able to like, share, AND scroll for any given image, should they choose to do so, so I essentially need to allow multiple responses for the trial.

Below are my outstanding questions/issues based on what the absolutely ideal version of this task would look like (I understand all of this might not be possible):

1. Participants should be able to like and/or share (or neither, they can just keep scrolling) any given image and I would need to record that information. For TRAVCOMBO01, for example, if a participant likes the image before scrolling, I need to record that they liked it but did not share it, or if a participant likes AND shares an image before scrolling, I need to record that they did both of those things.

*My issue here is with how to record more than one response per trial. I have been trying to work this out after reading a few other threads (e.g., https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic16749.aspx#16752), and I gather I need to use some isvalidresponse logic, but I can't seem to translate some of those examples to my script.

2. When a participant likes or shares an image by clicking on the heart or arrow buttons, I would like the selected button to be colored in so the participant knows if they liked, shared, or did both for that image.

*Can I do this with some kind of branching logic using two versions of the image, one where the heart/arrow is colored in and one where it is not? Or is there a way I can simply make a colored heart image appear on screen when they click that heart-shaped "like" button?

3. Participants will be instructed to like and share roughly half of the images. They need to "like" 7-9 of them and "share" 7-9 of them. If they provide like or share responses to fewer than 7 or more than 9 of the images, they need to repeat the task.

*My question here is if someone can help me set up this logic in the script, which I think will require some form of branching that looks something like this: / branch=[if (trial.mytrial.count < 7 or > 9) trial.mytrial] (but I am not sure if that is the correct way to write those counts.

4. Additional Issue/Question: This is not exactly related to the questions above, but I am throwing it in here since I am asking these other questions anyway. It also might be useful for us if participants were be able to scroll back and forth between the images and like/unlike or share/unshare them (perhaps this is not be possible, but I do not really know).

*My question here would be, given these desired features, would a surveypage be better than a trial for scrolling back and forth and for unselecting previously selected response options? I know there is a scrolling function for survey pages and with response buttons or images as response buttons, perhaps participants would be able to "uncheck" any responses they already gave.

*If a survey would be better, is it possible to use images as response options (i.e., participants would still need to click on the heart and/or arrow to provide their responses).

THANK YOU!!
By Dave - 1/26/2021

ashleym - 1/26/2021
Hi,

I am creating a task that is supposed to look similar to Instagram (scroll-and-click on images). I have attached the basic script of my task, but I have several issues/questions that I have not yet been able to figure out (I am still learning Inquisit, slowly!). In the script, the first section is the current basic task code; there is also code at the bottom under "Tests" that shows a few of the many different things I've tried. I guess some of my questions are about general functionality (i.e., can Inquisit do this and how?), whereas some of the others are about how to write some particular line of code.

A description of the task and questions are outlined below. We are using Inquisit 5 Web.
If anyone can help me, I would sincerely appreciate it!!

Thank you in advance!!!
Ashley
------------------------------------------------------

In this task, participants will scroll through what looks similar to an Instagram feed. They will view 16 instagram-type images and they can "like" an image by clicking on the heart underneath it, "share" an image by clicking on the arrow underneath it, or they can "keep scrolling" to the next image. Participants need to be able to like, share, AND scroll for any given image, should they choose to do so, so I essentially need to allow multiple responses for the trial.

Below are my outstanding questions/issues based on what the absolutely ideal version of this task would look like (I understand all of this might not be possible):

1. Participants should be able to like and/or share (or neither, they can just keep scrolling) any given image and I would need to record that information. For TRAVCOMBO01, for example, if a participant likes the image before scrolling, I need to record that they liked it but did not share it, or if a participant likes AND shares an image before scrolling, I need to record that they did both of those things.

*My issue here is with how to record more than one response per trial. I have been trying to work this out after reading a few other threads (e.g., https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic16749.aspx#16752), and I gather I need to use some isvalidresponse logic, but I can't seem to translate some of those examples to my script.

2. When a participant likes or shares an image by clicking on the heart or arrow buttons, I would like the selected button to be colored in so the participant knows if they liked, shared, or did both for that image.

*Can I do this with some kind of branching logic using two versions of the image, one where the heart/arrow is colored in and one where it is not? Or is there a way I can simply make a colored heart image appear on screen when they click that heart-shaped "like" button?

3. Participants will be instructed to like and share roughly half of the images. They need to "like" 7-9 of them and "share" 7-9 of them. If they provide like or share responses to fewer than 7 or more than 9 of the images, they need to repeat the task.

*My question here is if someone can help me set up this logic in the script, which I think will require some form of branching that looks something like this: / branch=[if (trial.mytrial.count < 7 or > 9) trial.mytrial] (but I am not sure if that is the correct way to write those counts.

4. Additional Issue/Question: This is not exactly related to the questions above, but I am throwing it in here since I am asking these other questions anyway. It also might be useful for us if participants were be able to scroll back and forth between the images and like/unlike or share/unshare them (perhaps this is not be possible, but I do not really know).

*My question here would be, given these desired features, would a surveypage be better than a trial for scrolling back and forth and for unselecting previously selected response options? I know there is a scrolling function for survey pages and with response buttons or images as response buttons, perhaps participants would be able to "uncheck" any responses they already gave.

*If a survey would be better, is it possible to use images as response options (i.e., participants would still need to click on the heart and/or arrow to provide their responses).

THANK YOU!!

See attached, which should cover your questions 1 to 3. 4 is not easily doable, it would be a huge pain.
By ashleym - 1/26/2021

Dave - 1/26/2021

See attached, which should cover your questions 1 to 3. 4 is not easily doable, it would be a huge pain.

AWESOME!! Thank you so much, Dave!!! Incredible, I really appreciate it :)