Millisecond Forums

Inquisit Web Audio Saving Issue

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic30854.aspx

By b_randon - 2/18/2021

Hey guys! I recently have started piloting an experiment using Inquisit's web-based platform (inquisit version 6.3.5). After running my first participant, I realized that the audio file from their recall was not saved into the "raw" data folder with the other raw data file. On the desktop app, the audio files are saved in a subfolder of the data folder titled "soundcaptures" but this folder doesn't exist in the "raw" data folder for my online experiment. The recall period is only 5 minutes, so the audio file itself is only 5 minutes which I know is the max that inquisit will save the audio file online.  Does anyone have any insight into why there aren't any saved audio files for my experiment only when it's online?
By Dave - 2/18/2021

b_randon - 2/18/2021
Hey guys! I recently have started piloting an experiment using Inquisit's web-based platform (inquisit version 6.3.5). After running my first participant, I realized that the audio file from their recall was not saved into the "raw" data folder with the other raw data file. On the desktop app, the audio files are saved in a subfolder of the data folder titled "soundcaptures" but this folder doesn't exist in the "raw" data folder for my online experiment. The recall period is only 5 minutes, so the audio file itself is only 5 minutes which I know is the max that inquisit will save the audio file online.  Does anyone have any insight into why there aren't any saved audio files for my experiment only when it's online?

Please provide the link to the experiment.
By Dave - 2/18/2021

Dave - 2/18/2021
b_randon - 2/18/2021

> The recall period is only 5 minutes, so the audio file itself is only 5 minutes [...]

If it's a single recording covering the entire 5 minutes, then that single file's size is probably the issue. Due to recent backend changes, large will have to be broken up into smaller chunks client-side prior to upload, because the AWS Lambda API gateway rejects uploads exceeding a certain size. Version 6.4.0, due out within the next few days, will resolve this.

Any not yet uploaded recordings are not irretrievably lost. They still reside on the client system. If the participant installs 6.4.0 once it's released, they can manually trigger the upload of the recording by opening the player app, going to the "Data" tab, and clicking the "Cloud Upload" icon in the upper right-hand corner.
By b_randon - 2/18/2021

Dave - 2/18/2021
Dave - 2/18/2021
b_randon - 2/18/2021

> The recall period is only 5 minutes, so the audio file itself is only 5 minutes [...]

If it's a single recording covering the entire 5 minutes, then that single file's size is probably the issue. Due to recent backend changes, large will have to be broken up into smaller chunks client-side prior to upload, because the AWS Lambda API gateway rejects uploads exceeding a certain size. Version 6.4.0, due out within the next few days, will resolve this.

Any not yet uploaded recordings are not irretrievably lost. They still reside on the client system. If the participant installs 6.4.0 once it's released, they can manually trigger the upload of the recording by opening the player app, going to the "Data" tab, and clicking the "Cloud Upload" icon in the upper right-hand corner.

Hi Dave,

Here is a link to the experiment.    
 https://mili2nd.co/5axb

And this is the code for the specific task where "RECALL" is just a picture element;

<trial recall_task>
/ stimulustimes = [1 = RECALL]
/ soundcapture = true
/ timeout = 300000
</trial>

<block RECALL_TASK>
/trials = [1 = recall_task]
/ soundcapture = true
/ timeout = 300000
</block>
By b_randon - 2/18/2021

b_randon - 2/18/2021
Dave - 2/18/2021
Dave - 2/18/2021
b_randon - 2/18/2021

Hi Dave,

And this is the code for the specific task where "RECALL" is just a picture element;

<trial recall_task>
/ soundcapture = true
/ timeout = 300000
</trial>

<block RECALL_TASK>
/ soundcapture = true
/ timeout = 300000
</block>

Additionally, changing the timeout to 4 minutes and 59 seconds did not solve the issue.
By Dave - 2/18/2021

b_randon - 2/18/2021
b_randon - 2/18/2021
Dave - 2/18/2021
Dave - 2/18/2021
b_randon - 2/18/2021

Hi Dave,

<trial recall_task>
/ soundcapture = true
/ timeout = 300000
</trial>

<block RECALL_TASK>
/ soundcapture = true
/ timeout = 300000
</block>

Additionally, changing the timeout to 4 minutes and 59 seconds did not solve the issue.

> Additionally, changing the timeout to 4 minutes and 59 seconds did not solve the issue.

I would not expect it to. It's a file size / upload size issue. One second less is not going to make a huge difference in the file size. As stated here https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost30856.aspx , the fix for this will be in 6.4.0.