Millisecond Forums

Multiple sessions for each participant

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic30914.aspx

By Kambo - 2/24/2021

Greetings,

We will use Inquisit Web for administration of a rather extensive test battery. Each sub-task needs to be completed in one session once initiated, but I would like to know if it is possible for each participant to login several times and complete the different tasks at their own time? 

Cheers,

Heidi
By Dave - 2/24/2021

Kambo - 2/24/2021
Greetings,

We will use Inquisit Web for administration of a rather extensive test battery. Each sub-task needs to be completed in one session once initiated, but I would like to know if it is possible for each participant to login several times and complete the different tasks at their own time? 

Cheers,

Heidi

This will, in part, depend on the specific tasks you are administering. Please be more specific.
By Kambo - 2/24/2021

Dave - 2/24/2021
Kambo - 2/24/2021
Greetings,

Cheers,

Heidi

This will, in part, depend on the specific tasks you are administering. Please be more specific.

It will e.g. be different perceptual tasks in the auditory domain, an abstract reasoning matrix etc. Scripts for the perceptual tasks will be written by us. 
By Dave - 2/24/2021

Kambo - 2/24/2021
Dave - 2/24/2021
Kambo - 2/24/2021
Greetings,

Cheers,

Heidi

It will e.g. be different perceptual tasks in the auditory domain, an abstract reasoning matrix etc. Scripts for the perceptual tasks will be written by us. 

Will any of the tasks administered have to rely on the groupnumber/groupid for between-subjects condition assignment? If yes, that'd be a problem. If not, you can use various <batch> conditions to allow for each task to be launch separately at a given participant's convenience by passing the number in via URL parameter

<batch>
/ groups = (1 of 3)
/ file = "task_a.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (2 of 3)
/ file = "task_b.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (3 of 3)
/ file = "task_c.iqx"
</batch>

I.e. mili2nd.co/yourexperimentsshortcode?groupid=1 would launch Task A,
mili2nd.co/yourexperimentsshortcode?groupid=2 would launch Task B, and
mili2nd.co/yourexperimentsshortcode?groupid=1 would launch Task C in the above example.

If using the group ID is not an option, you can possibly use <batch> /sessions instead, i.e.

<batch>
/ sessions = (1 of 3)
/ file = "task_a.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ sessions = (2 of 3)
/ file = "task_b.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ sessions = (3 of 3)
/ file = "task_c.iqx"
</batch>

I.e. on a given participant's first visit / session, they'd be administered Task A, in the 2nd session they'd get Task B, in the 3rd Task C. See https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic30719.aspx for a few more details on how /sessions work.
By Kambo - 9/15/2021

Many thanks. Another naive question I guess, but what happens if a participant takes a break between the different tests if they are all nested together - can they just proceed, or is there some sort of idle timeout? 

Heidi
By Dave - 9/15/2021

Heidi Umbach Hansen - 9/15/2021
Many thanks. Another naive question I guess, but what happens if a participant takes a break between the different tests if they are all nested together - can they just proceed, or is there some sort of idle timeout? 

Heidi

Inquisit itself does not impose some kind of idle timeout. If the participant's device goes to sleep or into hibernation due to an extended break, however, all bets are off -- it may or may not be possible for Inquisit to continue after such an event.

The second exception is if the script you are administering itself has some kind of built-in timeout.