Millisecond Forums

Assigning groups and using these groups to call wordlists

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic31136.aspx

By EurstudentSvZ - 3/18/2021

Hi all,

As you can probably see in my username, I'm a student and new to Inquisit. 

I'm conducting a Sentence-Picture verification task experiment with 4 groups/lists. I've received an earlier script of one of my professors, but she programmed the experiment in version 4 (see attachment for script), while I use version 6.

You can find the whole script in the attachment to see how the previous experiment calls upon these lists.

The main problem: We use these groups to call a specific list, but the <variable> function is not in use and other functions I found here, such as <values> give errors such as invalid syntax and unmatched parentheses. I've checked the script  and the forum multiple times and the parentheses and the syntax seem to be correct if we could still use the <variables> function.
We prefer to keep our script elegant and not make 4 different <expt>'s, but if that's the only solution, we have to.

Below I pasted how my professor coded the groups in her previous experiment. We understood that <variables> is no longer a function in inquisit, but we're unsure as to which function we should use now. 

<variables>
/groupassignment = groupnumber
/group = (1 of 4)(MatchSentences = MatchSentences1, MismatchSentences = MismatchSentences1, Matchpictures = Matchpictures1, Mismatchpictures = Mismatchpictures1)
/group = (2 of 4)(MatchSentences = MatchSentences2, MismatchSentences = MismatchSentences2, Matchpictures = Matchpictures2, Mismatchpictures = Mismatchpictures2)
/group = (3 of 4)(MatchSentences = MatchSentences3, MismatchSentences = MismatchSentences3, Matchpictures = Matchpictures3, Mismatchpictures = Mismatchpictures3)
/group = (4 of 4)(MatchSentences = MatchSentences4, MismatchSentences = MismatchSentences4, Matchpictures = Matchpictures4, Mismatchpictures = Mismatchpictures4)
</variables>

If we then want to use these groups to call the correct wordlist, we use:
<text matchsentence>
/ items = matchsentences
/ fontstyle = ("Verdana", 3.00%)
/ position = (20%, 50%)
/ select = noreplace
/ hjustify = left
/ halign = left
</text>

Our ideal solution is replacing <variables> with the proper function, while keeping other lines of code throughout the script the same. The <variable> function is such a handy function that we hope there is a replacement function in v6. 

I hope I've explained my question properly and I'll be keeping an eye on the forum to see if you need additional information (and for answers of course).

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to your answers!

Samuel
By Dave - 3/18/2021

EurstudentSvZ - 3/18/2021
Hi all,

I'm conducting a Sentence-Picture verification task experiment with 4 groups/lists. I've received an earlier script of one of my professors, but she programmed the experiment in version 4 (see attachment for script), while I use version 6.

You can find the whole script in the attachment to see how the previous experiment calls upon these lists.

The main problem: We use these groups to call a specific list, but the <variable> function is not in use and other functions I found here, such as <values> give errors such as invalid syntax and unmatched parentheses. I've checked the script  and the forum multiple times and the parentheses and the syntax seem to be correct if we could still use the <variables> function.
We prefer to keep our script elegant and not make 4 different <expt>'s, but if that's the only solution, we have to.

Below I pasted how my professor coded the groups in her previous experiment. We understood that <variables> is no longer a function in inquisit, but we're unsure as to which function we should use now. 

<variables>
/group = (1 of 4)(MatchSentences = MatchSentences1, MismatchSentences = MismatchSentences1, Matchpictures = Matchpictures1, Mismatchpictures = Mismatchpictures1)
/group = (2 of 4)(MatchSentences = MatchSentences2, MismatchSentences = MismatchSentences2, Matchpictures = Matchpictures2, Mismatchpictures = Mismatchpictures2)
/group = (3 of 4)(MatchSentences = MatchSentences3, MismatchSentences = MismatchSentences3, Matchpictures = Matchpictures3, Mismatchpictures = Mismatchpictures3)
/group = (4 of 4)(MatchSentences = MatchSentences4, MismatchSentences = MismatchSentences4, Matchpictures = Matchpictures4, Mismatchpictures = Mismatchpictures4)
</variables>

<text matchsentence>
/ items = matchsentences
/ position = (20%, 50%)
/ select = noreplace
/ hjustify = left
/ halign = left
</text>

Our ideal solution is replacing <variables> with the proper function, while keeping other lines of code throughout the script the same. The <variable> function is such a handy function that we hope there is a replacement function in v6. 

I hope I've explained my question properly and I'll be keeping an eye on the forum to see if you need additional information (and for answers of course).

Samuel

You'll want to use conditional <include> elements:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v6/html/language/attributes/precondition.htm

https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost20059.aspx

Apart from that, the code you attached is incomplete/broken: Various things referenced in the obsolete <variables> element are not present in the script (there are no elements called MatchSentences1 to MatchSentences4, nor do the corresponding MismatchSentences1 to MismatchSentences4 elements exist). I cannot fix that for you.
By Dave - 3/18/2021

Dave - 3/18/2021
EurstudentSvZ - 3/18/2021
Hi all,

<variables>
</variables>

<text matchsentence>
/ items = matchsentences
/ position = (20%, 50%)
/ select = noreplace
/ hjustify = left
/ halign = left
</text>

Samuel

You'll want to use conditional <include> elements:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v6/html/language/attributes/precondition.htm

https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost20059.aspx

Apart from that, the code you attached is incomplete/broken: Various things referenced in the obsolete <variables> element are not present in the script (there are no elements called MatchSentences1 to MatchSentences4, nor do the corresponding MismatchSentences1 to MismatchSentences4 elements exist). I cannot fix that for you.

By EurstudentSvZ - 3/19/2021

Thank you for your help and making the sets, Dave! I'll correct the incomplete code and use your comments above.