Millisecond Forums

Attention Checks in Repetitive Blocks

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic31443.aspx

By MaxPrimbs - 4/29/2021

Dear Community,

I have a design where people are repeatedly presented with faces and they have to indicate the emotion the face displays. An example block looks like this:

<block SadAngry>
/ trials = [1 = practice; 2 = Keys_SadAngry; 3-100 = noreplace(Mask_Sad_l, NoMask_Sad_l, Mask_Angry_r, NoMask_Angry_r)]
/ onblockbegin = [values.reminder_left = "Sad"; values.reminder_right = "Angry"]
</block>

Now, I would like to have single trial per block that is an attention check. This attention check should be somewhere mixed in the 3-100 experimental trials. Mask_Sad_l and so forth draw without replacement from a pool of items. If I try to add it like this: 3-101 = noreplace(Mask_Sad_l, NoMask_Sad_l, Mask_Angry_r, NoMask_Angry_r, AttentionCheck), I get multiple attention checks per block. How can I implement it that I only have one check per block?

Best,

Max
By Dave - 4/29/2021

MaxPrimbs - 4/29/2021
Dear Community,

I have a design where people are repeatedly presented with faces and they have to indicate the emotion the face displays. An example block looks like this:

<block SadAngry>
/ trials = [1 = practice; 2 = Keys_SadAngry; 3-100 = noreplace(Mask_Sad_l, NoMask_Sad_l, Mask_Angry_r, NoMask_Angry_r)]
/ onblockbegin = [values.reminder_left = "Sad"; values.reminder_right = "Angry"]
</block>

Now, I would like to have single trial per block that is an attention check. This attention check should be somewhere mixed in the 3-100 experimental trials. Mask_Sad_l and so forth draw without replacement from a pool of items. If I try to add it like this: 3-101 = noreplace(Mask_Sad_l, NoMask_Sad_l, Mask_Angry_r, NoMask_Angry_r, AttentionCheck), I get multiple attention checks per block. How can I implement it that I only have one check per block?

Best,

Max

Use a  conditional /branch from the existing trial elements.
By MaxPrimbs - 4/29/2021

Dave - 4/29/2021
MaxPrimbs - 4/29/2021
Dear Community,

<block SadAngry>
</block>

Best,

Max

Thanks! Related question: If I were to use 3-50 = noreplace(Mask_Sad_l, NoMask_Sad_l, Mask_Angry_r, NoMask_Angry_r)]; 51 = AttentionCheck; 52-101 = noreplace(Mask_Sad_l, NoMask_Sad_l, Mask_Angry_r, NoMask_Angry_r)] would the stimuli used in the 3-50 noreply pool also count as "used" (i.e. they don´t come again) in the 52-101 pool?
By Dave - 4/29/2021

MaxPrimbs - 4/29/2021
Dave - 4/29/2021
MaxPrimbs - 4/29/2021
Dear Community,

<block SadAngry>
</block>

Best,

Max

Thanks! Related question: If I were to use 3-50 = noreplace(Mask_Sad_l, NoMask_Sad_l, Mask_Angry_r, NoMask_Angry_r)]; 51 = AttentionCheck; 52-101 = noreplace(Mask_Sad_l, NoMask_Sad_l, Mask_Angry_r, NoMask_Angry_r)] would the stimuli used in the 3-50 noreply pool also count as "used" (i.e. they don´t come again) in the 52-101 pool?

These are separate pools. The proper way to do this is:

3-50, 52-101 = noreplace(Mask_Sad_l, NoMask_Sad_l, Mask_Angry_r, NoMask_Angry_r)]; 51 = AttentionCheck;