Millisecond Forums

Inquisit data file not present

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic31456.aspx

By la_1985 - 5/3/2021

Hi, 

I am running our Inquisit experiment on Amazon mTurk. On mTurk, we ask participants to insert the code from our experiment on Inquisit, once they have finished with the experiment.
On mTurk, I can see that the participant provided the completion code for our experiment. However, on Inquisit, I see that the person logged on and time session as 0, and no data files attributes to this participant was found in our account. What is the possible explanation as to why we don't have the corresponding log file, and data attributed to this participant if they had indeed completed the experiment?

Thank you so much,

Liz
By Dave - 5/3/2021

la_1985 - 5/3/2021
Hi, 

I am running our Inquisit experiment on Amazon mTurk. On mTurk, we ask participants to insert the code from our experiment on Inquisit, once they have finished with the experiment.
On mTurk, I can see that the participant provided the completion code for our experiment. However, on Inquisit, I see that the person logged on and time session as 0, and no data files attributes to this participant was found in our account. What is the possible explanation as to why we don't have the corresponding log file, and data attributed to this participant if they had indeed completed the experiment?

Thank you so much,

Liz

What experiment and what participant? What do you use / how do you determine the completion code?

How did you determine that they provided their completion code if no data files exist for said participant?
By la_1985 - 5/3/2021

Dave - 5/3/2021
la_1985 - 5/3/2021
Hi, 

Thank you so much,

Liz

What experiment and what participant? What do you use / how do you determine the completion code?

How did you determine that they provided their completion code if no data files exist for said participant?
Thanks Dave, before starting the experiment on Inquisit, I ask participants to submit their mTurk worker ID. Then, once a participant completes our experiment on Inquisit, they get a randomly generated code at the end. We ask them to enter this verification code to submit for payment on mTurk along with their worker ID. I can trace the worker ID with the verification in survey and data files on Inquisit and make sure that they have performed the study. However, one participant has submitted her code on mTurk. I can see that the she had logged on with Inquisit, but that her session length was 0. When I look to see if she had performed any questions of the experiment in data file, I don't have a generated data file for this participant on Inquisit. I am obviously thinking that she did not compete the experiment, but then she says that she did otherwise she wouldn't have entered a verification code as proof. 
On my end, I don't have data file for this participant on my Inquisit account. Does it mean she has completed the study and perhaps Inquisit didn't register her data, and how can I prevent this from happening ?

Any insight would be helpful,

thanks,
Liz
By Dave - 5/3/2021

la_1985 - 5/3/2021
Dave - 5/3/2021
la_1985 - 5/3/2021
Hi, 

Thank you so much,

Liz

Thanks Dave, before starting the experiment on Inquisit, I ask participants to submit their mTurk worker ID. Then, once a participant completes our experiment on Inquisit, they get a randomly generated code at the end. We ask them to enter this verification code to submit for payment on mTurk along with their worker ID. I can trace the worker ID with the verification in survey and data files on Inquisit and make sure that they have performed the study. However, one participant has submitted her code on mTurk. I can see that the she had logged on with Inquisit, but that her session length was 0. When I look to see if she had performed any questions of the experiment in data file, I don't have a generated data file for this participant on Inquisit. I am obviously thinking that she did not compete the experiment, but then she says that she did otherwise she wouldn't have entered a verification code as proof. 
On my end, I don't have data file for this participant on my Inquisit account. Does it mean she has completed the study and perhaps Inquisit didn't register her data, and how can I prevent this from happening ?

thanks,
Liz

If she did complete the experiment, the only option is that the data files didn't upload, either due to a temporary issue with her internet connection or because she, perhaps by mistake, disabled automatic data upload. In either case, if any data files were ever generated, they would still reside on her device. To check, she can open the Inquisit Player, go to the "Data" tab, and any not yet uploaded data files will be listed there. She can manually trigger their upload by clicking on the "Cloud Upload" icon in the upper right-hand corner.

For anything further, I would need the participant's ID so I can look at their logs (you can private message me that information).

One thing I do not understand:

> Then, once a participant completes our experiment on Inquisit, they get a randomly generated code at the end.

If the code is randomly generated, how do you know the code she entered is "hers" if there are no data files to confirm that the code entered is indeed the one randomly generated for said participant?
By la_1985 - 5/3/2021

Dave - 5/3/2021
la_1985 - 5/3/2021
Dave - 5/3/2021
la_1985 - 5/3/2021
Hi, 

Thank you so much,

Liz

thanks,
Liz

If she did complete the experiment, the only option is that the data files didn't upload, either due to a temporary issue with her internet connection or because she, perhaps by mistake, disabled automatic data upload. In either case, if any data files were ever generated, they would still reside on her device. To check, she can open the Inquisit Player, go to the "Data" tab, and any not yet uploaded data files will be listed there. She can manually trigger their upload by clicking on the "Cloud Upload" icon in the upper right-hand corner.

For anything further, I would need the participant's ID so I can look at their logs (you can private message me that information).

> Then, once a participant completes our experiment on Inquisit, they get a randomly generated code at the end.

If the code is randomly generated, how do you know the code she entered is "hers" if there are no data files to confirm that the code entered is indeed the one randomly generated for said participant?

Thanks Dave, participants enter their mTurk worker ID at the beginning of the experiment on Inquisit which identifies them. In my script, I save all the data responses, including their mTurk ID and the code generated at the end of the experiment, so that when I look at the data file, I can identify them easily. Does that make sense? I will reach up to her, and will contact you for further instructions if needed.
Thanks for your help!
Liz
By Dave - 5/3/2021

la_1985 - 5/4/2021
Dave - 5/3/2021
la_1985 - 5/3/2021
Dave - 5/3/2021
la_1985 - 5/3/2021
Hi, 

Thank you so much,

Liz

thanks,
Liz

Thanks Dave, participants enter their mTurk worker ID at the beginning of the experiment on Inquisit which identifies them. In my script, I save all the data responses, including their mTurk ID and the code generated at the end of the experiment, so that when I look at the data file, I can identify them easily. Does that make sense? I will reach up to her, and will contact you for further instructions if needed.
Thanks for your help!
Liz

That makes sense, but:
(1) You say there are no data files for this participant.
(2) How, then, do you know the code the participant entered is actually tied to that participant, i.e. was generated by Inquisit for that worker ID? There can be no record tying that code to the participant if there are no data files, no? All you know is that participant entered some code into mTurk, whether that code was actually generated for them is an open question, right? Or am I missing something?
By la_1985 - 5/4/2021

Thanks Dave, sorry I'll be a bit more clear. On my account on Inquisit, I click on "Online data", then I click on my experiment link to see two folders: raw and survey. In the survey folder, I am able to trace this participant's mTurk ID and log session time (which was 0). And on my mTurk account I can see this participant's mTurk ID and verification code that she entered. However, When I click on "raw" folder on Inquisit, I don't have any raw data file on this participant, and this is where i would check the participant's ID and verification code entered on mTurk. So, because i don't have a raw data spreadsheet for this participant, I am unable to check her mTurk ID and her verification code. Because she raised the concern that she indeed performed the experiment, I wasn't sure if it was a problem from my end and wanted see how I can prevent it from happening for others. 

By Dave - 5/4/2021

la_1985 - 5/4/2021
Thanks Dave, sorry I'll be a bit more clear. On my account on Inquisit, I click on "Online data", then I click on my experiment link to see two folders: raw and survey. In the survey folder, I am able to trace this participant's mTurk ID and log session time (which was 0). And on my mTurk account I can see this participant's mTurk ID and verification code that she entered. However, When I click on "raw" folder on Inquisit, I don't have any raw data file on this participant, and this is where i would check the participant's ID and verification code entered on mTurk. So, because i don't have a raw data spreadsheet for this participant, I am unable to check her mTurk ID and her verification code. Because she raised the concern that she indeed performed the experiment, I wasn't sure if it was a problem from my end and wanted see how I can prevent it from happening for others. 

Looking at the participant's log based on the ID you shared in private, the likely explanation is that the participant disabled automatic data file upload as detailed upthread at https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost31461.aspx

Have them open the player app on their Android, go to the "Data" tab, and manually trigger the upload of the listed data files there.
By la_1985 - 5/4/2021

Dave - 5/4/2021
la_1985 - 5/4/2021

Looking at the participant's log based on the ID you shared in private, the likely explanation is that the participant disabled automatic data file upload as detailed upthread at https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost31461.aspx

Have them open the player app on their Android, go to the "Data" tab, and manually trigger the upload of the listed data files there.

Great, thanks Dave, I have forwarded the message to the participant