Millisecond Forums

Way to fix the duration of signal sent by a port element?

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic32032.aspx

By nidhi_desai - 8/3/2021

Is there a way to fix the duration that a port element sends the signal for? I have a trial where at the start of the trial a port code is being sent and in the trial the participants can respond as well. Sometimes when the participant responds quickly at the start of the trial it stops the port signal from sending which leads to either the signal not sent or the signal sent for a very short amount of time. So the only solution that I think would work in my case is, if there is a way to fix the duration that the port signal is sent through irrespective of a response made, that would be helpful.
By Dave - 8/3/2021

nidhi_desai - 8/3/2021
Is there a way to fix the duration that a port element sends the signal for? I have a trial where at the start of the trial a port code is being sent and in the trial the participants can respond as well. Sometimes when the participant responds quickly at the start of the trial it stops the port signal from sending which leads to either the signal not sent or the signal sent for a very short amount of time. So the only solution that I think would work in my case is, if there is a way to fix the duration that the port signal is sent through irrespective of a response made, that would be helpful.

What you really need to do is ensure that the *trial* during which the port signal is sent has some minimum duration (or allowing participants only to answer after the port signal has been raised for some amount of time). How to best achieve that depends on the code you have, it's not possible to answer based on the little information you provided.

Show me the code (or at least the relevant parts) along with some brief explanation of what it's supposed to do, and then I can probably make a concrete suggestion regarding keeping the port signal up for a sufficient amount of time.