Millisecond Forums

Extra trials being shown

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic32139.aspx

By Haniel_Do - 8/24/2021

Dear Admin,

Hi, I'm using the "Reading the Mind in the Eyes" paradigm from the Inquisit library and have some confusion regarding output. The task itself is designed to have 36 trials, and when I looked at my data output from some participants, they were getting up to 41 trials (including a practice trial). From what I can understand the extra trials are appearing in the 3rd block but I cannot understand why as when I look through the code and add up how many trials should appear it should only be 36 plus a practice trial. If anyone has used this particular paradigm before or encountered a similar problem I would appreciate some advice. Thanks

Daniel
By Dave - 8/25/2021

Haniel_Do - 8/25/2021
Dear Admin,

Hi, I'm using the "Reading the Mind in the Eyes" paradigm from the Inquisit library and have some confusion regarding output. The task itself is designed to have 36 trials, and when I looked at my data output from some participants, they were getting up to 41 trials (including a practice trial). From what I can understand the extra trials are appearing in the 3rd block but I cannot understand why as when I look through the code and add up how many trials should appear it should only be 36 plus a practice trial. If anyone has used this particular paradigm before or encountered a similar problem I would appreciate some advice. Thanks

Daniel

Since you are referring to some specific participants' data, it would be helpful if you could actually provide said data and explain what exactly you believe to be wrong in reference to that data and why.

Thank you.
By Dave - 8/26/2021

Dave - 8/25/2021
Haniel_Do - 8/25/2021
Dear Admin,

Daniel

Since you are referring to some specific participants' data, it would be helpful if you could actually provide said data and explain what exactly you believe to be wrong in reference to that data and why.

Thank you.

This has been resolved via private message. There were no extra trials, only a misunderstanding how the data file records information -- the number of rows will differ between participants depending on whether and how often a given participant invokes the dictionary in any of the 36 test rounds.