Millisecond Forums

N Back Task

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic32272.aspx

By AnthonyFCollinsSussex - 10/5/2021

Hi
I hope all is going well?

I had a very small query regarding Inquisit's N-Back Task. The script attached is derived from the library's own, with only minor changes (mainly instructional slide format).

I would like to simply remove the practice block so participants dive straight in. Thus, in the script attached, I have taken out the practice block in the <expt>. However, when indeed the main task ('s_ntask') begins, there appears  'this is your target' (with a letter) cue, even though this should only appear for zero-n back blocks -  yet it is always there at the very start (even for 1 back, 2 back, 3 back when it should not be). Having said that, it only happens at the very start - further into task it does not appear again at the beginning of subsequent blocks. I have really tried to tease out how to eliminate this, and I know it is probably some very minor alteration, but I cannot find out how unfortunately. I was wondering whether there could be something you may spot more easily than myself to prevent this from showing.

I attach a compressed file with the N-back + instructional jpg slides.

Many Thanks in advance
Yours Sincerely
Anthony
By Dave - 10/5/2021

AnthonyFCollinsSussex - 10/5/2021
Hi

I had a very small query regarding Inquisit's N-Back Task. The script attached is derived from the library's own, with only minor changes (mainly instructional slide format).

I would like to simply remove the practice block so participants dive straight in. Thus, in the script attached, I have taken out the practice block in the <expt>. However, when indeed the main task ('s_ntask') begins, there appears  'this is your target' (with a letter) cue, even though this should only appear for zero-n back blocks -  yet it is always there at the very start (even for 1 back, 2 back, 3 back when it should not be). Having said that, it only happens at the very start - further into task it does not appear again at the beginning of subsequent blocks. I have really tried to tease out how to eliminate this, and I know it is probably some very minor alteration, but I cannot find out how unfortunately. I was wondering whether there could be something you may spot more easily than myself to prevent this from showing.

Many Thanks in advance
Yours Sincerely
Anthony

The difference is simply that you changed the text color of <text targetreminder> from black in the original

<text targetreminder>
/ items = ("this is the target")
/ position = (50%, 25%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = black
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3.00%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
</text>

to white in your modification:

<text targetreminder>
/ position = (50%, 25%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
</text>

i.e. it will be visible against the black background at the start. It's only later set to black, after the 1st start trial.

<trial start>
/ ontrialbegin = [
    if (values.N == 0) {
        text.targetreminder.textcolor = red;
        values.trialduration_starttrial = parameters.showtarget0;
        values.starttrialposttrialpause = parameters.posttrialpause_aftertarget0;
    } else {
        trial.start.insertstimulustime(clearscreen, parameters.stimulusPresentationtime);
        values.trialduration_starttrial = parameters.trialduration;
        values.starttrialposttrialpause = 0;
    };

values.starttrialcounter += 1;
    values.trial_Hit = 0;
    values.trial_Miss = 0;
    values.trial_CR = 0;
    values.trial_FA = 0;
]
/ stimulustimes = [0 = startletter, targetreminder]
/ validresponse = (noresponse, 21)
/ correctresponse = (noresponse)
/ ontrialend = [    
    trial.start.resetstimulusframes();
    if (values.N == 0) {
        values.currenttarget = text.startletter.currentitemnumber;        
    }                
    list.items.insertitem(text.startletter.currentitemnumber, 1);
    text.targetreminder.textcolor = black;
]
/ beginresponsetime = 0
/trialduration = values.trialduration_starttrial
/posttrialpause = (values.starttrialposttrialpause)
/branch = [if (values.starttrialcounter < values.N) trial.start]
</trial>

Set the txcolor back to black.
By AnthonyFCollinsSussex - 10/5/2021

Dave - 10/5/2021
AnthonyFCollinsSussex - 10/5/2021
Hi

Many Thanks in advance
Yours Sincerely
Anthony

The difference is simply that you changed the text color of <text targetreminder> from black in the original

<text targetreminder>
/ position = (50%, 25%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = black
</text>

to white in your modification:

<text targetreminder>
/ position = (50%, 25%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
</text>

i.e. it will be visible against the black background at the start. It's only later set to black, after the 1st start trial.

<trial start>
/ ontrialbegin = [
    if (values.N == 0) {
        text.targetreminder.textcolor = red;
        values.trialduration_starttrial = parameters.showtarget0;
        values.starttrialposttrialpause = parameters.posttrialpause_aftertarget0;
    } else {
        trial.start.insertstimulustime(clearscreen, parameters.stimulusPresentationtime);
        values.trialduration_starttrial = parameters.trialduration;
        values.starttrialposttrialpause = 0;
    };

values.starttrialcounter += 1;
    values.trial_Hit = 0;
    values.trial_Miss = 0;
    values.trial_CR = 0;
    values.trial_FA = 0;
]
/ stimulustimes = [0 = startletter, targetreminder]
/ validresponse = (noresponse, 21)
/ correctresponse = (noresponse)
/ ontrialend = [    
    trial.start.resetstimulusframes();
    if (values.N == 0) {
        values.currenttarget = text.startletter.currentitemnumber;        
    }                
    list.items.insertitem(text.startletter.currentitemnumber, 1);
    text.targetreminder.textcolor = black;
]
/ beginresponsetime = 0
/trialduration = values.trialduration_starttrial
/posttrialpause = (values.starttrialposttrialpause)
/branch = [if (values.starttrialcounter < values.N) trial.start]
</trial>

Set the txcolor back to black.

Thank you so much Dave, I was literally going through this with a fine-tooth comb, issue now resolved!

Take Care