Millisecond Forums

Keeping open-ended response on screen for the remaining trials within a block.

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic32444.aspx

By KempInquisit - 11/6/2021

Hello,

In my experiment, participants answer a series of question related to each topic. After participants provide an open-ended response to the first question, I would like their open-ended response to stay on the screen while answering the remaining two question (possibly three as there is a conditional branch depending on how they answer one of them). Is there anyway to do this with open-ended responses? I.e., something similar to erase = false? I haven’t found anything on this forum or in the instruction pages on Millisecond. Note that I do not want to use a survey page instead.

I attempted to add my example script to this, but it stated that I was over my limited space.

Thank you very much for your time,
Paige
By Dave - 11/8/2021

Paige Kemp - 11/6/2021
Hello,

In my experiment, participants answer a series of question related to each topic. After participants provide an open-ended response to the first question, I would like their open-ended response to stay on the screen while answering the remaining two question (possibly three as there is a conditional branch depending on how they answer one of them). Is there anyway to do this with open-ended responses? I.e., something similar to erase = false? I haven’t found anything on this forum or in the instruction pages on Millisecond. Note that I do not want to use a survey page instead.

I attempted to add my example script to this, but it stated that I was over my limited space.

Thank you very much for your time,
Paige

You can display the openended response as a <text> element on-screen during any subsequent question or questions.

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1=a; 2=b]
</block>

<openended a>
/ stimulusframes = [1=aq, bq]
/ position = (50%, 30%)
/ size = (25%, 4%)
</openended>

<openended b>
/ stimulusframes = [1=aq, ar, bq]
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ size = (25%, 4%)
</openended>

<text aq>
/ items = ("1.) What's your favorite color?")
/ position = (50%, 20%)
/ erase = false
</text>

<text bq>
/ items = ("2.) What's your favorite food?")
/ position = (50%, 40%)
/ erase = false
</text>

<text ar>
/ items = ("<%openended.a.response%>")
/ position = (50%, 25%)
/ size = (25%, 4%)
/ hjustify = left
/ vjustify = center
/ erase = false
/ txbgcolor = lightgray
</text>