Millisecond Forums

Competitive reaction time task

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic33610.aspx

By elisegrimm - 12/14/2021

Hello,

I am bringing a few changes to the CRTT as proposed via Inquisit but I have 2 questions:
1. Could you please clarify the way the volume is encoded in Inquisit? When the output is -5500 in the results sheet, does this correspond to 55 db?
2. I would like to make sure that the participants automatically lose the first trial and win the second. The first part (automatically lose) is programmable in the file, but how do I make sure they win the second?

Thank you in advance,
Best,
Elise
By Dave - 12/14/2021

elisegrimm - 12/14/2021
Hello,

I am bringing a few changes to the CRTT as proposed via Inquisit but I have 2 questions:
1. Could you please clarify the way the volume is encoded in Inquisit? When the output is -5500 in the results sheet, does this correspond to 55 db?
2. I would like to make sure that the participants automatically lose the first trial and win the second. The first part (automatically lose) is programmable in the file, but how do I make sure they win the second?

Thank you in advance,
Best,
Elise

> 1. Could you please clarify the way the volume is encoded in Inquisit? When the output is -5500 in the results sheet, does this correspond to 55 db?

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v6/html/language/attributes/volume.htm

"An integer from 0 to -10000 specifying volume in 1/100 decibel units. [...] Volume values may range from 0 (no volume adjustment) to -10,000 (essentially silent). Inquisit does not support amplification. Volume units are relative to the original volume of the WAV file. The decibel scale corresponds to the logarithmic hearing characteristics of the ear. An attenuation of 10 dB makes a buffer sound half as loud; an attenuation of 20 dB makes a buffer sound one-quarter as loud. The pan setting is cumulative with the volume setting."

I.e. -5500 is 55 dB attenuation relative to the original volume of the sound file.

> 2. I would like to make sure that the participants automatically lose the first trial and win the second. The first part (automatically lose) is programmable in the file, but how do I make sure they win the second?

In the same way it's done for the first, i.e. work through the code related to the first trial's predermined outcome, implement something analogous for the 2nd trial.
By elisegrimm - 12/14/2021

Dave - 12/14/2021
elisegrimm - 12/14/2021
Hello,

Thank you in advance,
Best,
Elise

> 1. Could you please clarify the way the volume is encoded in Inquisit? When the output is -5500 in the results sheet, does this correspond to 55 db?

"An integer from 0 to -10000 specifying volume in 1/100 decibel units. [...] Volume values may range from 0 (no volume adjustment) to -10,000 (essentially silent). Inquisit does not support amplification. Volume units are relative to the original volume of the WAV file. The decibel scale corresponds to the logarithmic hearing characteristics of the ear. An attenuation of 10 dB makes a buffer sound half as loud; an attenuation of 20 dB makes a buffer sound one-quarter as loud. The pan setting is cumulative with the volume setting."

I.e. -5500 is 55 db attenuation.

> 2. I would like to make sure that the participants automatically lose the first trial and win the second. The first part (automatically lose) is programmable in the file, but how do I make sure they win the second?

In the same way it's done for the first, i.e. work through the code related to the first trial's predermined outcome, implement something analogous for the 2nd trial.

Thank you for your feedback.

As a follow-up, using the blast sound provided by the task, how do we know at what decibel this is being played specifically?
Thank you,

Elise
By Dave - 12/14/2021

elisegrimm - 12/14/2021
Dave - 12/14/2021
elisegrimm - 12/14/2021
Hello,

Thank you in advance,
Best,
Elise

I.e. -5500 is 55 db attenuation.

Thank you for your feedback.

As a follow-up, using the blast sound provided by the task, how do we know at what decibel this is being played specifically?
Thank you,

Elise

> how do we know at what decibel this is being played specifically?

Do you mean the sound pressure level (SPL) in dB a given participant is subjected to? If so, you don't, unless you measure it with a dB-meter (easy to do if you're in a lab).