Millisecond Forums

Terminating experiment if participant's screen resolution is too low.

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic8494.aspx

By reyu7344 - 8/4/2012

Hi there,

I need my participants to meet a screen resolution requirement.

I've tried to do what was advised by Blackadder in this thread. I have a resolution check block first , and then my test blocks after that. Those who don't have the minimum screen resolution are then taking to a "Your screen resolution is too low" block, but I don't know how to program it so that the experiment ends after that. When you click 'Exit" on the button it simply takes you to the next block of trials rather than terminating the experiment. 

My script for screen resolution related commands is below. I have a feeling I need to use the /skip  command in the following test block elements, like /skip = [values.resolutionfail = 1]. That works, but as my finish page will say something like "thank you for completing the experiment; you will be given compensatory course credit within the next 48 hours", is there any way to direct them to an alternate finish page? Or a way to terminate the experiment automatically without getting them to hit Ctrl+Q? I could always hide the next button on the low resolution message page so they can't respond, and instruct them to hit Ctrl+Q (right?) but this isn't ideal.

<values>

/ resolutionfail=0

</values>

<surveypage lowresmessage>

/ finishlabel = "Exit"

/ nextbuttonposition = (100%,100%)

/ showquestionnumbers = false

/ showpagenumbers = false

/ caption = "Sorry, your screen resolution is too low to do this experiment. You must have a screen resolution of at least 1024px wide and 768px high. Unfortunately, you cannot participate for course credit. Please contact Renee Yu at reyu7344@uni.sydney.edu.au about this issue so that you will not be penalised."

/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 2%)

/ ontrialend = [values.resolutionfail = 1]

</surveypage>

<block lowres>

/ trials = [1=lowresmessage]\

</block>

<block rescheck>

/ branch = [if (display.width < 1024 || display.height < 768) block.lowres]

</block>

<expt>

/ blocks = [1=rescheck; 2=testblock1; 3=testblock2]

</expt>

By Dave - 8/4/2012

In addition you need to define a proper /skip conditions for the test blocks (as you suspected).

"thank you for completing the experiment; you will be given compensatory course credit within the next 48 hours", is there any way to direct them to an alternate finish page?

No, you can't send them to a different finish page. Change the text on the finish page to something more applicable.

By reyu7344 - 8/5/2012

Hey Dave, I get e-mail notifications of replies - one read that I need to define a proper /stop condition at the <expt> level.  Is this still the case?

In terms of finish page - I do have my debrief as an external finish page on LimeSurvey. However I only want them to read the debrief if they've completed the experiment. Does hitting Ctrl + Q during an online experiment take you to the finish page?

Or is it better to create the debrief as a block in Inquisit, not a form in LimeSurvey, and skip over these, and have a more generic finish page?

By Dave - 8/5/2012

one read that I need to define a proper /stop condition at the <expt> level.  Is this still the case?

No. Go with /skip.

Does hitting Ctrl + Q during an online experiment take you to the finish page?

Yes.

Or is it better to create the debrief as a block in Inquisit, not a form in LimeSurvey, and skip over these, and have a more generic finish page?

Yes.