Millisecond Forums

Bug in most recent release? Parallel Port Monitor

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic882.aspx

By Dave - 6/3/2007

Dear Sean,

whenever I try to configure sending / receiving signals to / from the parallel port via the 'Parallel Port Monitor' (Tools menu) in the most recent release (posted on 5/31/2007), I get one of the following error messages:

(1) Inquisit Error - Parallel port operation failed. - Line Number: 235 - File:.\DirLptPort.cpp - Status Code: 9996 - Error Message: 'No device handle'

(2) Inquisit Error - Parallel port operation failed. - Line Number: 270 -
File:.\DirLptPort.cpp - Status Code: 2 - Error Message: 'Can't load zntport.sys'

Is it just my machine? I'd be very thankful if you could give me any hints at a possible solution...

Thanks a lot!
~ Dave
By seandr - 6/11/2007

Turns out there was a problem in the installer. We've updated 2.0.61004.5 with a fix.

Anyone who has run into this issue should uninstall Inquisit, download the current version and reinstall.

Please let me know if you see any more issues.

Regards,
Sean

By gerhi - 1/15/2009

Dear Millisecond Team,

is it possible, that a similar bug made it's way to version 3.0.3.1?

We are experiencing similar problem when trying to send trigger-signals to our EEG-amplifyer.

Any help is much apprecchiated.
Gerrit
By seandr - 1/15/2009

Hi Gerrit,

It's always possible there's a new bug. What is the exact error message you are seeing? Assuming it's "No device handle", there error indicates that for some reason, Inquisit is not able to connect to the specified port.

Try the following: open up Windows Device Manager and verify the location of the parallel port (e.g., LPT1, LPT2, etc). If you add a PCI parallel port to the machine, it will often default to a number other than 1. Make sure the port is enabled. Then make sure you are selecting the correct port number from the parallel port monitor.

Let me know the results.

-Sean

By sarah - 11/22/2010

Hi all,

for an experiment, I need to use a parallel port response box. Although everything works fine under the admin account, it does not run under a non-admin account and I receive the following error message:

Inquisit Error - Parallel port operation failed. - Line
Number: 235 - File:.\DirLptPort.cpp - Status Code: 9996 - Error Message: 'No
device handle'

Unfortunately, using the admin account is no solution due to the IT regulations
at our lab, that is, I need to find a solution for non-admin accounts. As has been proposed before, I have already uninstalled Inquisit, downloaded the latest Inquisit 2 version (i.e., 2.0.61004.7), and reinstalled it. This did not help. Again, I received the error message above.

Is there another option to overcome this problem?

Many thanks in advance!

Sarah

By James Rounds - 10/18/2011

Hi Sean,

Do you have any experience with using a PCI-DIO24 card (basically a PCI card) as a parallel port in Inquisit? My initial question to the forum was answered by someone who admitted he didn't have experience with that kind of interface.

Basically, we already have the newest trial version Inquisit sending a parallel-port signal successfully to our eye-tracker system. What we want to add on is another measurement modality, through a Biopac MP100 device, and we'd love for the parallel port signal to get sent there as well (unfortunately the eye-tracking and Biopac system can't be run on the same computer). One option we've considered is instead of using a PCI card (which a colleague had recommended but doesn't seem to be recognizable by Inquisit), to just divide the working Parallel Port with a splitter, so that the same port sends the same parallel port signal to two separate computers.

Any advice you have is much appreciated!

James

Cornell University

By Dave - 10/18/2011

Do you have any experience with using a PCI-DIO24 card (basically a PCI card) as a parallel port in Inquisit?

Looking over the specs for these cards, they apparently do *not* expose themselves to the system as parallel ports (LPT) and thus Inquisit currently is not able to use them. I'll repeat my previous statement that I think using a splitter cable on the existing native LPT interface is a strategy worth pursuing.

Regards,

~Dave

By seandr - 10/18/2011

James,

I'm not familiar with this particular card, but Inquisit does work with other PCI-based parallel port cards. Here are some things to check:

1) Open up Windows Device Manager, and see if the card is listed under "Ports". If Windows doesn't recognize the cards as a parallel port, neither will Inquisit.

2) If it's listed in the Ports section, note the port number (e.g., LPT3) and be sure you are specifying that port number in your script

3) Right click the port in Device Manager, select Properties, and click the Resources tab. Note the IO range - this is the port's address.

4) Open the parallel port monitor in Inquisit, and select the port. Does Inquisit automatically select the address? If not, you'll need to specify it in the script.

Hope this helps,
Sean 

By bauer - 2/24/2014

Dear Sean,

whenever I try to use my parallel port via the 'Parallel Port Monitor' or will use it in an experiment I get the following error message:

Inquisit Error - Parallel port operation failed. - Line Number: 270 -
File:.\DirLptPort.cpp - Status Code: 2 - Error Message: 'Can't load zntport.sys'

Inquisit Version is 2.0.61004.7, OS Windows8 (64bit) but I became the same error on Windows7 (64bit).

Parallel Port ist correctly installed in the device manager etc.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks
Jochen
By Dave - 2/24/2014

This is likely due to the fact that Inquisit 2 and its parallel port driver are not compatible with Windows 7 and above, much less 64-bit editions. You may want to consider updating to Inquisit 4.