Millisecond Forums

htmlpage element

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic9581.aspx

By ahales - 2/2/2013

Hello,

This may be a somewhat basic question, but I need to know how to present a website on the internet as stimulus material. I am having trouble with the htmlpage element. Regardless of the website that I enter as the path a blank screen is displayed rather than the content.  For example, the script below does not seem to work.  Am I missing something obvious?

Internet explorer is working properly on the computer, so that should not be the problem.

Any help we be much appreciated.

<htmlpage intro>

/file="http://google.com"

</htmlpage>

By Dave - 2/2/2013

<htmlpage intro>
/file="http://google.com"
</htmlpage>

<block myblock>
/ postinstructions = (intro)
</block>

works perfectly fine as far as I can tell.

By ahales - 2/3/2013

Many thanks Dave.  That actually does work for me now with google and most other links.  However, when I try substituting the link to the page I need I see the error message "object doesn't support property or method 'getContext".  I am not certain what this is referring to.  Perhaps there is something about the link that it does not like.  Have you seen this before?

Best.

By Dave - 2/3/2013

Presumably there's something about your HTML (you'll want to inspect its source code) / probably has nothing to do with Inquisit per se.

Does the page render in IE on that machine, i.e., not using Inquisit?

By ahales - 2/3/2013

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.  The page does work just fine on IE outside of Inquisit on the computer.

By Dave - 2/3/2013

Can you share the link?

By ahales - 2/3/2013

This (or some close variation) is the link: 

http://www1.psych.purdue.edu/~ahales/webcbc/cyberball.htm?userid=agileProgger&settings=3pljo&p2name=You&p1name=Player%201&p3name=Player%203

This Cyberball game has a complicated schedule of throws that I have already programmed in Cyberball 4 externally, so I would prefer to use this rather than reprogram the Inquisit version of Cyberball.

By Dave - 2/3/2013

The page does not render for me at all in IE (no Inquisit involvement whatsoever) or other browsers. But: Why go through the trouble of trying to pipe it through Inquisit at all? It might be better (and easier) to do this differently.

By ahales - 2/3/2013

I think that is what I'm going to end up doing.  I had hoped to simply be able to pipe to the page to save myself from reprogramming the unique schedule of throws within the Inquisit Cyberball (or do you have another, simpler method in mind?).

Thank you very much for the  help.

By Dave - 2/3/2013

My question is: Why do you think you need Inquisit *at all*, at least for this web portion, given that (a) Inquisit does not record any data for instruction pages (including <htmlpage> elements) and (b) Inquisit does not have any magic access to whatever the respective web app might be doing (its data, results, etc.)?

If you want to connect data between the web app and other stuff collected via an Inquisit web experiment, you can do so by bouncing back and forth between the two and forwarding query parameters (see the "How to interoperate Inquisit with online survey packages" topic in the documentation).

By ahales - 2/3/2013

I see.  Inquisit is necessary, because earlier in the experiment participants play BeanFest.  I hadn't considered using an online survey package for the second half of the experiment, but it sounds like the ideal solution.

Thank you!

By Dave - 2/3/2013

You can simply redirect participants to the web location hosting your Cyberball implementation by specifying it as finish page in your Bean Fest web exp.

By Rene Kopietz - 9/28/2013

Hi there,

I'd like to use a html page in the middle of the experiment. The only thing I could find was the above use via the block element. Now I wonder: Is it at all possible to use html (htmlpage) outside of the pre or postinstructions and if yes, is there any way to increase the window size? When run like above, the page is shown in a small window / frame and participants would need to scroll. (I want to present a crossword puzzle, which basically is a huge table.)

Thanks,

Rene

By Rene Kopietz - 9/29/2013

OK, I figured out that the window / frame size is set via the <instruct> command.

By Dave - 9/29/2013

The only way to display HTML pages in Inquisit 3 as as instructions. In Inquisit 4, there is the <html> element which allows you to display HTML pages as stimuli in a <trial>.

By Rene Kopietz - 9/29/2013

Thanks Dave. With the <html> element it now works!