cyberball task

Author
GeeP
Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi everyone,

I am working on a script involving the 4 player cyber ball task and have run into a problem. Would you mind helping me? I know that you are busy but I thought of checking.

In my 4 player cb task, players1, 3 and 4 are computerized and player 2 will be the subject. The motive is to have two players (say 1 and 4) throw the ball to the subject and player 3 only once and end up tossing the rest of the time with each other (50 trials). Also, I need to change the position of the players between subjects for counterbalancing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much in advance

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

In my 4 player cb task, players1, 3 and 4 are computerized and player 2 will be the subject. The motive is to have two players (say 1 and 4) throw the ball to the subject and player 3 only once and end up tossing the rest of the time with each other (50 trials)

The <list> elements in the script determine where the ball gets thrown:

<list player1schedule>
/ items = (3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 2)
/replace = false
</list>

<list player3schedule>
/ items = (1, 1, 1, 4, 4, 4, 2)
/replace = false
</list>

<list player4schedule>
/ items = (1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 3, 2)
/replace = false
</list>

That's where you need to look to implement your changes.

Also, I need to change the position of the players between subjects for counterbalancing.

Then you need to change the respective elements' positions.

GeeP
GeeP
Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)

Thanks Dave,

As of now, I have the following in my script (instead of list):

<counter player3schedule>

/ items = (1, 2, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4)

/ select = noreplace

/ allowrepeats = false

</counter>

The issue I am having is that the total trials are 50, but it looks like the above code works only for the number of items, here 10. If I am not wrong, then, for every 10 trials, this sequence repeats but within those 10 trials, it doesn't repeat. In that case, should I have 50 items defining all the 50 trials instead of just10?

For the trials, I have the following:

<trial 1to2>

/ pretrialpause = replace(100-2000)

/ stimulusframes = [1= player1, player2, player3, player4, player1label, player2label, player3label, player4label, 1to2]

/ validresponse = (player1, player3, player4)

/ branch = [if (trial.1to2.response == "player1") trial.2to1]

/ branch = [if (trial.1to2.response == "player3") trial.2to3]

/ branch = [if (trial.1to2.response == "player4") trial.2to4]

</trial>

Can I specify the varying positions here and then have separate elements? I have a total of 3 experiments which differ in the position of the 3 players other than the participant. I know that I need to create multiple elements each set associating with respective expt and block, but not sure where to assign them.

I hope I am making sense here.

Thanks again

-G

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

If I am not wrong, then, for every 10 trials, this sequence repeats but within those 10 trials, it doesn't repeat

Not exactly. The pool contains 10 items. They are sampled randomly without replacement. As soon as the respective player has "thrown" the ball 10 times, the pool will reset and the same 10 items will again be sampled from randomly without replacement. *This does not necessarily happen after 10 trials.*

You need to sit down with the original script and work through it until you fully understand how it works before starting to make any modifications.

Can I specify the varying positions here and then have separate elements? I have a total of 3 experiments which differ in the position of the 3 players other than the participant. I know that I need to create multiple elements each set associating with respective expt and block, but not sure where to assign them.

Between-subjects conditions are / always have been assigned via multiple <expt> elements' /subjects attributes or the <variables> element. That is where you "associate" the respective stimuli, trials, blocks etc.

GeeP
GeeP
Hi Dave,

I had a question about the Cyberball game. Would it be possible to modify this game where each player has multiple balls (with different meanings/valence) and they throw this at other player who in turn will also have multiple balls to choose from to throw back. I hope I am making sense here!

Thanks,
-G
Dave
Dave
I don't see any strong reason why it wouldn't be possible, albeit it may well involve a substantial amount of work. You'd need to add all the ball-selection logic etc., adjust the scheduling, create additional stimuli, etc.

The first step, though, would be working through the original in detail so you fully understand how it works. Once you do, you should have a clearer picture of what you need to add or modify and where.

GeeP
GeeP
Great! I think we'll begin with the original script and go from there. My main concern was how to incorporate the idea of multiple balls per player? Because as of now the game has one ball only that is tossed around, but it might be tricky to modify such that each player has many balls to throw at other players. When we begin programming, I think we'll find a course, hopefully!!! Oh, also while I'm talking about this, does Inquisit offer programming service? If so, what is the cost?
Thanks a  bunch Dave!
-G
Dave
Dave
Well, obviously, you must keep track of all the balls and who has which / how many at any given point.

The question of how this ought to work (or how you *want* it to work) in principle is not a question of programming (in terms of producing code / Inquisit syntax). I would thus recommend to work this through w/ pencil and paper before writing / adding a single line of code.

This you must do regardless of whether you end up programming it yourself or pay someone to do it (cf. bottom of https://www.millisecond.com/support/ ). If you can't spell out clearly how you expect your procedure to work, no one can program it for you.

Hope this helps.

GeeP
GeeP
That makes sense, absolutely! This idea is still at a very conceptual level and unless we have nailed down what we are looking for, as in our research question/s, hypotheses, etc., we will not go any place. The reason I asked was because in a meeting this came up as a "can this be done?" idea and I needed some confirmation. Then again, we will turn to programming this only when we are sure this is what we want to do AND no other paradigms can help answer what we are interested in. Nevertheless, it is always good to know! :)

Thanks again and have a lovely weekend!
-G
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search