Error message: InquisitControl.RunScriptFile is not a function

Author
katha
Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi everybody,

I uploaded a web experiment (which runs on my computer), but when I click the "Start" button on the launch side, there is an error message saying: "InquisitControl.RunScriptFile is not a function". I tried it on different computers, and in different launch modes, but it will either show the same message or hide the Start button. Any ideas what went wrong?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Katharina

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

Please provide the following info:

- Operating system and version

- Inquisit version used

- Browser version used

- Link to the experiment's launch page

Thanks.

katha
katha
Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)Partner Member (868 reputation)

- Windows 7 Version 6.1

- Inquisit 3.0.6.0

- Mozilla 22.0

- http://research.millisecond.com/i.bozic/Masterbeatricevortest2.web

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)

Thanks, Katha, I've just published an update to the launch page which will hopefully fix this. There was a change/bug in Firefox 22 that caused plugins not to be loaded if they had certain attributes. The new page has a workaround that should allow the plugin to load as normal.

Give it a try (before to Refresh the launch page in your browser) and let me know if the problem persists.

Thanks,
Sean 

katha
katha

Hi Sean

Thanks for your help! Indeed, the plugin is now starting to load. But now it won't load the pics that it needs to run. I've uploaded a different script and all pics again, just to be sure - it runs locally but not online. Do you think it has to do with the same bug?

Here's the new link, if you want to try: http://research.millisecond.com/i.bozic/MasterBeatriceshort.web

Thanks, Katha

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

For some reason, those picture files have *not* been uploaded to the server / aren't available. You can easily see this by pasting the links given on the error page in your browser's address bar:

/items:
Unable to load the picture
'http://www.millisecond.com/myaccount/scripts/i.bozic/MasterBeatriceshort/Response_slide_gemustert.jpg'.
Verify that the file exists and is of a supported format.
/items: Unable to load the picture
'http://www.millisecond.com/myaccount/scripts/i.bozic/MasterBeatriceshort/CFH_5_2.jpg'.
/items: Unable to load the picture
'http://www.millisecond.com/myaccount/scripts/i.bozic/MasterBeatriceshort/CHF_1_2.jpg'.

I suggest you take the script down, double-check all file names and re-upload.

jbuczny
jbuczny
Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)
Hello,

In my case the problem was the same. I waited ten minutes and refreshed browser then hit the link again - the problem vanished. I assume that it might have been caused by a lack of files transfers between server and computer since names all files like .jpg or .wav (and its' names) were alright (script worked on my desktop computer).

Regards,
Jacek
psyclaw
psyclaw
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Hello,

From everything I've read, this issue was resolved 2 years ago, but unfortunately we are getting the same error (InquisitControl.RunScriptFile is not a function) with a person using Firefox.  He is using Firefox 44 with Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1 and we have Inquisit 4 Web.  The link to our study is: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2571982/GIS-Inquisit

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Dave
Dave
Current browsers, including Firefox, will not automatically execute plugins even when they have been installed properly. The user must explicitly allow the plugin to be run. Firefox will display an icon and/or message indicating it has blocked a plugin in the address bar. Alternatively, you can authorize the plugin permanently via Add-ons -> Plugins. You may need to refresh the page after activating the plugin.

Finally, there is always the option to use a different launch method via the "Having trouble starting?" link at the bottom of the launch page. Using the web player would be the recommended option.

(I should add that the web experiment in question -- http://research.millisecond.com/narina/GIS.web -- is also not using the latest Inquisit Web version (4.0.9.0), but the previous release (4.0.8.0). It may be worth considering updating it to use the most up-to-date version. Since there are some incompatibilities between older launch pages and new ones, that would however necessitate unregistering / removing the script and then re-registering it, i.e., you'd have to re-upload all files and re-apply any settings.)

Edited 8 Years Ago by Dave
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search