Spacing and Formatting of Radiobutton questions

Author
gina.psych
Respected Member (346 reputation)Respected Member (346 reputation)Respected Member (346 reputation)Respected Member (346 reputation)Respected Member (346 reputation)Respected Member (346 reputation)Respected Member (346 reputation)Respected Member (346 reputation)Respected Member (346 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I am using Inquisit to administer some basic belief surveys and emotion questionnaires mainly because I am also administering an IAT and I want all of my measures to be in one file. I do not have access to Media Lab. The problem I am facing is that Inquisit does not seem set up to deal with these types of questions. I want participants to be able to see a list of 22 adjectives on a single page and be able to say to what extent they agree what that adjective. When I have tried doing this with sliders or radiobuttons, it places the answer choices below the item caption which doubles the amount of space taken up by a single item, making it near impossible to put more than 10 items on a page. Is there a way to format either the sliders or radiobuttons so that the answer choices appear next to the item caption? I am aware that one way to decrease space would be to include the scale in the instructions and have the answer choices merely be numbers. I have tried that. It causes there to be a huge space in between the instructions and the answers, which elongates the survey.  Here is an example of a script I am currently working with: 

<slider empath1>

/ caption = "Moved"

/ labels = ("Not at all", "To a very low degree", "Somewhat", "To a considerable degree", "Very much")

/ range = (1, 5)

/ slidersize = (60%, 3%)

/ showtooltips = false

</slider>

<slider empath2>

/ caption = "Warm"

/ labels = ("Not at all", "To a very low degree", "Somewhat", "To a considerable degree", "Very much")

/ range = (1, 5)

/ slidersize = (60%, 3%)

/ showtooltips = false

</slider>

<slider empath3>

/ caption = "Softhearted"

/ range = (1, 5)

/ slidersize = (60%, 3%)

/ showtooltips = false

</slider>

<slider empath4>

/ caption = "Tender"

/ range = (1, 5)

/ slidersize = (60%, 3%)

/ showtooltips = false

</slider>

<slider empath5>

/ caption = "Compassionate"

/ range = (1, 5)

/ slidersize = (60%, 3%)

/ showtooltips = false

</slider>

<slider empath6>

/ caption = "Sympathetic"

/ range = (1, 5)

/ slidersize = (60%, 3%)

/ showtooltips = false

</slider>

<slider empath7>

/ caption = "Touched"

/ range = (1, 5)

/ slidersize = (60%, 3%)

/ showtooltips = false

</slider>

<slider empath8>

/ caption = "Concerned"

/ range = (1, 5)

/ slidersize = (60%, 3%)

/ showtooltips = false

</slider>

<surveypage feeltherm1>

/ caption = "To what degree do you feel the following emotions at this time?"

/ fontstyle = ("Verdana", -16, true, false, false, false, 5, 0)

/ questions = [1-8 = noreplace(empath1, empath2, empath3, empath4, empath5, empath6, empath7, empath8)] 

</surveypage>

<survey feeltherm>

/ pages = [1= noreplace(feeltherm1)]

/ responsefontstyle = ("Verdana", -11, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)

/ itemfontstyle = ("Verdana", -12, true, false, false, false, 5, 0)

/ itemspacing = 0.5%

/ showpagenumbers = false

</survey>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

To do this you will have to set up <caption> elements for the various adjectives and then /position them properly relative to the various questions. You can find an example at https://millisecond.com/forums/Topic1847.aspx#1847.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search