VAS / Slider questionnaire

Author
Maurits
Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I have just started using inquisit and run into two problems. I will outline them below. I hope someone is able to steer me in the right direction. 

I have two questions regarding the use of a VAS or the slider. 
I want to use a Visual Analogue Scale in my questionnaire.
Per page I want to display two questions:
-The question answered on a VAS scale + a question answered with radiobuttons. 

Question 1
I have made a surveypage with both the "quasi-VAS" slider and the radiobutton .
-My problem regards the position of the labels. Now they are positioned above the line. I want the labels to be positioned at the beginning and at the end of the line and at the same horizontal position as the line. 
So for example: not at all --------------------------very much
I could not find how to do this properly. Do you have any suggestions?

<slider Q1>
/ caption="The past weeks.:~n"
/ fontstyle = ("calibri", 2.5%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ subcaptionfontstyle = ("calibri", 2.5%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ labels=("not at all","very much")
/ responsefontstyle = ("calibri", 2.5%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ range = (0,100)
/ showticks = false
/ showtooltips = false
/ slidersize = (40,5)
/ required = true
</slider>

Question 2
On the forum I found a script for a "real"-VAS (see below). I prefer this one, because you don't have to use a slider with a default position, you can just click anywhere on the line (and conveniently it is easy to adjust the position of the anchors).
With this code, the next trial starts based on the response and a time interval. However, I want participants to be able to adjust their answer and I want to be able to show a second question (with radiobuttons) on the same page. After answering both questions I want to use a "next" button to proceed to the next question. Do you have a suggestion how I would be able to do so?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Maurits 
Below I have posted the script for the "real"-VAS:

*** Default Settings & Data Specifications ***

<defaults>
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", -19, true, false, false, false, 5, 0)
</defaults>

<data>
/ columns = [subject, date, time, blockcode, trialcode, trialnum, latency, text.question.currentitem, expressions.correctedscore]
</data>

*** Response Scoring Routines ***

<expressions>
/ correctionvalue = (display.width - shape.line.width) / 2
/ correctedscore = (trial.VisualAnalogueScale.responsex - expressions.correctionvalue) / shape.line.width * 100
/ roundedvalue = format("%.2f", expressions.correctedscore)
</expressions>

*** Block Definition ***

<block VAS>
/ trials = [1-10=VisualAnalogueScale]
</block>

*** Trial Definitions ***

<trial VisualAnalogueScale>
/ stimulusframes = [1=question, leftborder, rightborder, line, leftanchor, rightanchor]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (line)
/ branch = [trial.showresponse]
</trial>

<trial showresponse>
/ stimulusframes = [1=X, responsevalue]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (noresponse)
/ timeout = 1500
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

*** Scale Items ***

<shape line>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = (0, 0, 0)
/ size = (700, 6)
/ position = (50, 75)
/ erase = false
</shape>

<shape leftborder>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = (0, 0, 0)
/ size = (6, 30)
/ position = (16, 75)
/ erase = false
</shape>

<shape rightborder>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = (0, 0, 0)
/ size = (6, 30)
/ position = (84, 75)
/ erase = false
</shape>

<text question>
/ items = ("Question 1", "Question 2", "Question 3", "Question 4", "Question 5", "Question 6", "Question 7", "Question 8", "Question 9", "Question 10")
/ position = (50, 25)
/ select = sequence
/ erase = false
</text>

<text leftanchor>
/ items = ("Left Anchor")
/ position = (10, 75)
/ size = (50, 50)
/ erase = false
</text>

<text rightanchor>
/ items = ("Right Anchor")
/ position = (90, 75)
/ size = (50, 50)
/ erase = false
</text>

*** Response Indicator ***

<text X>
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", -35, true, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ items = ("X")
/ txcolor = (255, 0, 0)
/ txbgcolor = (transparent)
/ hposition = (trial.VisualAnalogueScale.responsex / display.width) * 100
/ vposition = shape.line.vposition
</text>

<text responsevalue>
/ items = ("<% expressions.roundedvalue %> %")
/ position = (50, 85)
</text>

*** End Of File ***

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
> My problem regards the position of the labels. Now they are positioned above the line. I want the labels to be positioned at the
> beginning and at the end of the line and at the same horizontal position as the line.

Do not use the /labels attribute then. Instead, set up separate <caption> elements representing your labels and /position them as needed on the page.

Re Q2: That's not possible.

Maurits
Maurits
Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)
Thank you very much for your quick help! 
Maurits
Maurits
Dave (6/16/2014)
> My problem regards the position of the labels. Now they are positioned above the line. I want the labels to be positioned at the
> beginning and at the end of the line and at the same horizontal position as the line.

Do not use the /labels attribute then. Instead, set up separate <caption> elements representing your labels and /position them as needed on the page.

Re Q2: That's not possible.

I have one additional question. I have made separate <caption> elements. I removed all caption attributes within the slider element because I wanted to move the items independently. The only problem I have now, is that when people forget to move the slider (response is required), there is no feedback anymore in the form of text which changes color (red). Can I make the line of the slider the thing giving the feedback or the separate caption elements?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
I'm afraid the answer is "no". It'll only work with the element's own /caption attribute, not an independent / separate <caption> element.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search