Creating levels of the SART

Author
Vitas
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello all!
I must apologise in advance, I'm not very good with coding. So while I have questions, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they have very simple answers. I've been trying to push through it for awhile now and think it's time I asked for some help.

What I'm trying to do is design a SART with 4 levels of increasing difficulty, with difficulty being defined as a shorter ISI/Mask/Response time. Additionally, after each level, I would like to give participants 5 (Likert-style) multiple choice questions on the perceived difficulty of the task. While I see where I can change the length of time the mask is presented, it seems I can't vary that time between levels? Does this mean I would be best served to write each level of my test in a new script window, or is there a way to make it so that the participant can smoothly transition from one level, to the perceived difficulty questions, to the next level of the test, and so on?

Again, I'm sorry if this is obvious to the rest of you, I have many skills, but coding is not one of them. Thank you for any help you can offer.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
> While I see where I can change the length of time the mask is presented, it seems I can't vary that time between levels?

No, you can vary that time as needed. Set up <block> elements, each block representing one of your "levels". At the beginning of the given block, set values.digitpresentationtime, values.maskpresentationtime, etc. to the desired values applicable to that level:

<block level1>
/ onblockbegin = [values.digitpresentationtime = [insert value for level 1 here]; values.maskpresentationtime = ...; ]
/ trials = [1-??= SART]
</block>
<block level4>
/ onblockbegin = [values.digitpresentationtime = [insert value for level 4 here]; values.maskpresentationtime = ...; ]
/ trials = [1-??= SART]
</block>

Also set up <likert> elements for your subjective difficulty assessment and run them via a <block>

<block difficulty>
/ trials = [1=likert1; ...]
</block>

Finally, run all those blocks via the <expt> element in the desired order:

<expt>
/ blocks = [1 = practice; 2 = sequence(level1,difficulty,level2,difficulty,level3,difficulty,level4,difficulty); 3=summary]
<expt>

Please make sure you also work through the comments included in the script. They'll give you an idea what each part of the code does and how to adapt it to your needs without breaking anything in the process.

Vitas
Vitas
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you so much, this looks MUCH easier than I've been making it to be. Probably why I can't get my script to run. I'd added lines under values, like: 
/maskpresentationtime_1 = 1000  
/maskpresentationtime_2 = 750
and I was trying to edit separate versions of the trial code to reflect those values. 

Coding is definitely not my strong point... I'm going to give this a try, thank you so much again for your help.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search