Could not initialize Direct Input

Author
R.Arends
Associate Member (216 reputation)Associate Member (216 reputation)Associate Member (216 reputation)Associate Member (216 reputation)Associate Member (216 reputation)Associate Member (216 reputation)Associate Member (216 reputation)Associate Member (216 reputation)Associate Member (216 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hello Inquisit members,

I have a question about an error message I received on my a new laptop (Windows 8.1) when running an older program. It is a joystick program called: 'Face Gaze Joystick Task' and uses Inquisit 4.
The message I received was the fallowing: 'Could not initialize Direct Input'. Is there a problem with the new Windows version, the version of DirectX (on this laptop version 11). The program was officially made for Windows XP with DirectX version 9.0c, does it mean that the program can not work on a new laptop with new software like Windows 8.1? I already tried downloading older DirectX versions, other drivers etc., but I can still not run the program.

Thank you,

Rachel Arends

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Inquisit 4 works fine under Windows 8.1 / DirectX 11. There is no need to install an older version.

The "Could not initialize DirectInput" error message, however, indicates that something's broken on that machine. The joystick might not have been properly installed, it might be its driver or some other issue with your DirectX environment. Check the input tab in the OS's DirectX diagnostics program (Start -> Run -> dxdiag).

Beyond that, I'm not sure what "The program was officially made for Windows XP with DirectX version 9.0c" is supposed to mean in the context of an Inquisit script. Who made the program (= script? or something else?) and where is that stated? (Google doesn't produce any obvious hits for "Face Gaze Joystick Task".)

Edited 9 Years Ago by Dave
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search