Launch page translation

Author
LC
LC
posted 9 Years Ago HOT
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

I am currently preparing a study that uses Inquisit Web. Everything seems to work fine, but I would like to translate the launch page to make the plug-in installation instructions comprehensible for non-English speaking participants. Is there a way to do this easily?

Many thanks!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
You would have to include the translation(s) of the installation instructions in the regular text you can enter on your launch page.

LC
LC
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Hi Dave

Thanks for your quick answer!

Dave (4/29/2015)
You would have to include the translation(s) of the installation instructions in the regular text you can enter on your launch page.

But in that case the actual instructions (and link to the installation files) would still appear in English, right? So I would have to write a Dutch text saying something like: "click on the link in the English text below to install Inquisit". If workable, I would rather have the instructions themselves to be in Dutch. Can I simply copy the source code of the standard "instructions" page, change the English text to Dutch, and use that code as a "custom launch page"? And if possible in theory, have you already encountered problems with custom launch pages (for example, in registering unique id's for respondents arriving from a survey hosted somewhere else)? The reason why I am asking is because I need Inquisit to register the unique id for each respondent when arriving to Inquisit, and to transfer the id back to the survey package I use. This works just fine now, and I do not want it to be all messed up because of my custom launch page. So if you think it is "risky" to use a custom launch page, I will just go with the simple solution you suggested above.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
> But in that case the actual instructions (and link to the installation files) would still appear in English, right? So I would have to
> write a Dutch text saying something like: "click on the link in the English text below to install Inquisit".

Yes, that is correct.

> Can I simply copy the source code of the standard "instructions" page, change the English text to Dutch, and use that code as a > "custom launch page"?

In theory you can. I would not recommend it, though. The launch page has pretty extensive JavaScript logic in it to determine browser and OS version, etc. Copying and messing with the source code runs the risk of breaking some or all of that functionality.

If you have your own webspace (or start the whole experiment on an external survey site), you can consider doing something along the lines of

https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic13622.aspx

as an alternative.

LC
LC
Okay. I'll stick with the default launch page for now. Thanks for the link! Seems like an interesting alternative.
Just a suggestion, of course, but maybe built-in translations could be a nice addition to a future Inquisit release? : )

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
Agree - translations would certainly be helpful, I've added it to our feature list.

Thanks,
Sean
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search