non-random selection of stimuli

Author
Georgia
Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I am new to inquisit and have just learned how to program a full task myself. I would like to be able to program a non-random selection of stimuli that reflects specific probabilities, but as far as I can tell there is the 'noreplace' or the 'noreplacenorepeat' option which randomly selects stimuli either with or without repeating. Is there any way to program a particular probability of a certain stimulus being presented for each trial or each block of trials?
The only other option I see is to hand-code my blocks to create the probabilities myself. As an example, I've pasted code below for the following: 70% chance of seeing stimulus 1, 10% chance of seeing stimulus 2, 10% chance of seeing stimulus 3, and 10% chance of seeing stimulus 4. Basically 7/10 trials are stimulus 1 and the rest are stimuli 2-4. My syntax seems to be wrong so I am wondering if this is even possible to do. 

<block practice>
/trials = [1=stimulus1; 2=stimulus2; 3=stimulus4; 4=stimulus1; 5=stimulus3; 6=stimulus1; 7=stimulus1; 8=stimulus1; 9=stimulus1; 10=stimulus1]
/pretrialpause = 500
</block>

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Georgia

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
What matters with trial selection via the <block> element's /trials attribute is the *proportions you enter into the pool*. For example

/ trials = [1-6=noreplace(a,b)]

will sample randomly (without replacement) <trial a> and <trial b> in *equal proportions* / a 1:1 ratio. You'll end up with exactly 3 "a"-trials and 3 "b"-trials in random order. With

/ trials = [1-6=noreplace(a,a,b)]

the ratio is 2:1, i.e., you'll end up with 4 "a"-trials and 2 "b"-trials in random order. As to your own task, what you'll want to do is thus:

/ trials = [1-10=noreplace(stimulus1, stimulus1, stimulus1, stimulus1, stimulus1, stimulus1, stimulus1, stimulus2, stimulus3, stimulus4)]

Georgia
Georgia
Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks, this really helped!

Georgia
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search