Enable copying of unique codes for mTurk studies

Author
audiosophy
Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

Our university just got hold of Inquisit Web and I am running a study which produces a unique code that participants use to get paid. The trouble is, once in Inquisit, there seems to be no way to copy and paste this code for later pasting into mTurk. 

Is the only solution to ask participants to keep a pen and paper handy? Or is there some code that will allow my participants to copy and paste this code? 

Thanks,
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Paper and pencil is the fail-safe solution (which I'd recommend). As a potential alternative or in addition, you *could* display the code in a <surveypage> / <textbox> element. Participants could then select and copy the code via the context menu:

https://www.millisecond.com/forums/uploads/images/332f0f85-5669-4b13-b473-30a6.png

Example code for the above:

<expt>
/ blocks = [1=myblock]
</expt>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1=mytrial; 2=codepage]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mytext]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text mytext>
/ items = ("Press the spacebar.")
</text>

<surveypage codepage>
/ showpagenumbers = false
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ questions = [1=codebox]
</surveypage>

<textbox codebox>
/ caption = "Select and copy the following code:"
/ defaultresponse = "ABCD1234"
</textbox>

audiosophy
audiosophy
Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)Guru (8.6K reputation)
ah didn't realise you could do a default response in a check box. That's definitely a workaround that will hopefully ease my participants experience. Thanks Dave :)
audiosophy
audiosophy
Sorry, it took me a while till I needed to program this, but I just realised you can't insert a value into the default box right? As in:

<textbox codebox>
/ caption = "Your unique code is <%values.mturkcode%> - You can write this down or use the mouse to select, right click and copy it (keystrokes will not work) from the box below:"
/ defaultresponse = "<%values.mturkcode%>"
</textbox>

So in that case pen and paper IS the only method? 
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
No, it should actually work like that:

<expt>
/ blocks = [1=myblock]
</expt>

<values>
/ mycode = ""
</values>

<block myblock>
/ onblockbegin = [values.mycode=round(rand(1000,9999))]
/ trials = [1=mytrial; 2=codepage]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mytext]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text mytext>
/ items = ("Press the spacebar.")
</text>

<surveypage codepage>
/ showpagenumbers = false
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ questions = [1=codebox]
</surveypage>

<textbox codebox>
/ caption = "Select and copy the following code:"
/ defaultresponse = values.mycode
</textbox>

audiosophy
audiosophy
Ah that's worked like a charm. thanks a bunch
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search