Weird problems with radiobuttons

Author
kk
Partner Member (515 reputation)Partner Member (515 reputation)Partner Member (515 reputation)Partner Member (515 reputation)Partner Member (515 reputation)Partner Member (515 reputation)Partner Member (515 reputation)Partner Member (515 reputation)Partner Member (515 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

I have some problems with using the radiobuttons element. I have build a simple response time task, followed by several questionnaires. The radiobuttons are used as part of the questionnaires.

The questionnaires work fine when I start them by right-clicking the block element belonging to these questionnaires. However, when I run the experiment as a whole, either by clicking the .iqx file or by running the expt attribute, the text belonging to the radiobuttons is invisible. It seems to be surrounded by a black background. Please see the screenshots below. The left side is how the questionnaires look like when starting via the block attribute. The right side is how the questionnaires look like when running the entire experiment. I am sure that I miss something obvious, but I have not found any information on this forum that solved my problem.

Thank you all for helping me out!

Cheers

https://www.millisecond.com/forums/uploads/images/662703db-889c-42e0-b86a-177a.jpg

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
If I were to hazard a guess, you have some black /txbgcolor or something along those lines defined as the <default> in the overall experiment. The black text of the response options then is effectively invisible against the black background color.

For more specific pointers, you'd have to share the actual code.

Hope this helps.

yarrowdunham
yarrowdunham
Respected Member (384 reputation)Respected Member (384 reputation)Respected Member (384 reputation)Respected Member (384 reputation)Respected Member (384 reputation)Respected Member (384 reputation)Respected Member (384 reputation)Respected Member (384 reputation)Respected Member (384 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I'm having the same issue, and as Dave suggests it is because the default txbgcolor is set to black as well.
However what is odd is that setting the txcolor to white within the radiobutton element or surveypage element doesn't seem to work; it only works for the title of the question, not for the actual response options themselves. Is there any workaround for this or do I need to redo my color scheme throughout to make radiobuttons work?
Thanks, and reproducible code below.
-Yarrow

<defaults>
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3.5%)
/ screencolor = (0,0,0)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
/ txcolor = (255, 255, 255)
/ minimumversion = "4.0.0.0"
/ canvasaspectratio = (4, 3)
</defaults>

<radiobuttons gender>
/caption = "What is your gender?"
/ txcolor = (255,255,255)
/ options = ("Female",
"Male")
/required = false
/orientation = vertical
</radiobuttons>

<surveypage demos>
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/subcaptionfontstyle = ("Arial", 1.5%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/itemfontstyle = ("Arial", 2%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/responsefontstyle = ("Arial", 1.5%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ txcolor = (255,255,255)
/questions = [1 = gender]
/showpagenumbers = false
/showquestionnumbers = false
/backbuttonposition = (10%, 90%)
/nextbuttonposition = (90%, 90%)
</surveypage>

<block demos>
/trials = [1=demos]
</block>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Yep, some text colors simply cannot be changed due to (boring) technical limitations; it'll always be black. That includes the color for any text used as response options in e.g. radiobuttons. It's fine to keep your /screencolor set to black in <defaults>, however, for the <block> or <survey> elements containing your surveypages, you'd have to override that with a lighter color in order to have the options visible (instead of black on black).

<block demos>
/screencolor = (grey)
/trials = [1=demos]
</block>

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search