Inquisit can't open sound files

Author
KS
KS
posted 8 Years Ago HOT
Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I'm new to using this software and I'm trying to insert a sound file into my script...

<sound 250hz>
/ items = ("M:\My Documents\A1 LJMU Psychology Studies\PhD Autonomic Correlates Of Listening Effort\Pure Tones\250Hz.wav")
</sound>
<sound 500hz>
/ items = ("M:\My Documents\A1 LJMU Psychology Studies\PhD Autonomic Correlates Of Listening Effort\Pure Tones\500Hz.wav")
</sound>
<likert ListeningQu>
/ stimulusframes = [1=250hz; 2=500hz]
/ anchors = [1="very well"; 2="well"; 3="moderately"; 4="unclear"; 5="not at all"]
/ position = (50, 80)
</likert>

But, it comes up with an error saying it cannot open the sound files.
Does anyone know why? Or how to correct this?
Thanks.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Either the file path is wrong or the files are not supported WAVs. In the latter case you can either re-encode the files to standard 16-bit PCM WAVs or try using the <video> element instead of <sound>.

KS
KS
Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)
Thanks for the help Dave!
Do you know (or anyone else) if there is a way to code so that the participant hearing the sound stimuli and manually adjust the volume, possibly using a slider on the screen or something along those lines?
Thanks!
K :)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
You can do something along the lines of https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost12903.aspx to allow for adjusting volume.

KS
KS
Thank you so much! I've attempted to use that in my script, however, I think I'm missing something as I expected that if I responded with '1' on my likert scale, there would be a second presentation of sound with the adjusted volume. However, this doesn't happen. Why is this?

<sound example>
/ items = ("M:\My Documents\A1 LJMU Psychology Studies\PhD Autonomic Correlates Of Listening Effort\INQUISIT Trials\PureTone 250Hz 20Db.wav")
</sound>
<likert ListeningQu>
/ stimulusframes = [1= example]
/ anchors = [1="I can hear", 2="Barely audiable", 3="I can not hear anything"]
/ position = (50, 80)
/ ontrialend=[if (likert.ListeningQu.response == "1") sound.example.volume = sound.example = -100]
</likert>
<block AgeGender>
/ trials = [1=WelcomeMsgTrial; 2=AgeTrial; 3=GenderTrial; 4=HITrial; 5=ListeningInstructions; 6=ListeningQu]
</block>
Dave
Dave
> I expected that if I responded with '1' on my likert scale, there would be a second presentation of sound with the adjusted volume. However,
> this doesn't happen. Why is this?

There is nothing in your code that would run the <likert> again. If you want to run it again, you need to /branch to it of the response is 1.

Notice the /branch logic in the example I directed you to. <trial mytrial> is run again unless the response is "stop".

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search