Issue saving data on Inquisit 5

Author
clb357
Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi

I recently began using Inquisit (the desktop version) to run experiments for my dissertation. During pilot testing we were using Inquisit 4 and experienced no problems. We switched to Inquisit 5 when it became available. Today while I was working on customizing instructions to fit my study population for the Mr Peanut task and the Tower of London (tasks pre-programmed by millisecond) I noticed that data files were not being saved for either task (I went all the way through the tasks so I could see how the instructions looked). I checked the obvious location (the folder that the program file is located) as well as the entire computer -- no sign of the data files.

Is this a common problem? How might I be able to fix the code so that we can have data files saved again? I am genuinely perplexed!

Charlotte
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
> Is this a common problem?

No, we have not heard similar reports nor have we seen this particular problem in our own tests.

Is your Inquisit 5 installation registered? If not, it may be that the trial period has elapsed -- in that case, Inquisit (either version) will no longer record any data when completing a script manually (the monkey will still generate data under both Inquisit 4 and 5).

If the above is not the case, please provide more details about the particular scripts you are using, including which modifications you made and how you've set up their respective <data> and <summarydata> elements.

In addition, providing the technical log available vie Tools -> View Log File... may be helpful.

Finally, please make sure your Inquisit 5 installation is up to date (the latest release is version 5.0.1.0, available via https://www.millisecond.com/download/ ).

Thanks.

clb357
clb357
Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It looks like I solved it! I downloaded the newest version of Inquisit 5 and moved the downloaded tasks to the desktop vs the download folder on my computer. When called from the desktop, it was fine. Must have been an idiosyncratic issue with the computer. Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Yes, that makes sense: On most systems, the download folder is what you could call a "protected location", i.e., only specific applications (e.g. your browser) may write files to that folder, whereas other applications may not. Moving any downloaded scripts from the download folder to a location where you have full write access (e.g. the desktop, your "my files" directory) is recommended.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search