Measuring time from textbox presentation to first response

Author
kulajw
Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I created a survey with text box elements and each text box is placed on separate survey page
I would like to know how long participant is "thinking" before  he or she start typing answer in check box, so I need to measure time between initial text box presentation on the screen and event when particpanat start typing in this text box.

I have tried to subtract survey page.elapsed time from survey page.latency, but it does not work as I expected ;(

Do you have any idea how can I measure time between text box presentation and start of typing in this text box?

Thanks for any responses :)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
kulajw - Friday, January 13, 2017
Hello,

I created a survey with text box elements and each text box is placed on separate survey page
I would like to know how long participant is "thinking" before  he or she start typing answer in check box, so I need to measure time between initial text box presentation on the screen and event when particpanat start typing in this text box.

I have tried to subtract survey page.elapsed time from survey page.latency, but it does not work as I expected ;(

Do you have any idea how can I measure time between text box presentation and start of typing in this text box?

To do this you should use <openended> elements instead of <surveypage>s with <textbox> elements. The <openended>'s firstcharlatency property will give you the time when the participant type the first character:

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-2=myopenended]
</block>

<openended myopenended>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mytext]
</openended>

<text mytext>
/ items = ("Question A", "Question B")
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<data>
/ columns = [date time subject group blocknum blockcode trialnum trialcode response latency openended.myopenended.firstcharlatency]
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

kulajw
kulajw
Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)Guru (5.9K reputation)
Thank you!

openended element

It is really interesting and useful properties.
As far I know description of this properties is not present in <opened>  langage refernces in a help menu for Inquisit 4, therefore I miss it.

http://www.millisecond.com/forums/Uploads/Images/54ed7a71-d94e-4755-9464-583c.PNG

Best

mateuszh
mateuszh
Associate Member (50 reputation)Associate Member (50 reputation)Associate Member (50 reputation)Associate Member (50 reputation)Associate Member (50 reputation)Associate Member (50 reputation)Associate Member (50 reputation)Associate Member (50 reputation)Associate Member (50 reputation)
Dave - 1/13/2017
Hello,

To do this you should use <openended> elements instead of <surveypage>s with <textbox> elements. The <openended>'s firstcharlatency property will give you the time when the participant type the first character:

<block myblock>
</block>

<openended myopenended>
</openended>

<text mytext>
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<data>
/ columns = [date time subject group blocknum blockcode trialnum trialcode response latency openended.myopenended.firstcharlatency]
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

Hi,
we are trying to measure response time our procedure, also using a firstcharlatency property. But we have so many openended forms of trials. So our question is following
- how should we call column in data to gather latency from beginning of trial to first key response? A string is a form of the response.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
mateuszh - 2/10/2020
Dave - 1/13/2017
Hello,

<block myblock>
</block>

<openended myopenended>
</openended>

<text mytext>
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<data>
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

Hi,
we are trying to measure response time our procedure, also using a firstcharlatency property. But we have so many openended forms of trials. So our question is following
- how should we call column in data to gather latency from beginning of trial to first key response? A string is a form of the response.

Just create a variable

<values>
/ firstchar_rt = ""
</values>

have your various <openended> elements write their firstcharlatency to that variable

<openended a>
/ ontrialend = [values.firstchar_rt = openended.a.firstcharlatency]
</openended>

<openended b>
/ ontrialend = [values.firstchar_rt = openended.b.firstcharlatency]
</openended>

<openended c>
/ ontrialend = [values.firstchar_rt = openended.c.firstcharlatency]
</openended>

and log the variable to the data file

<data>
/ columns = [..., values.firstchar_rt, ...]