N-back test

Author
Scritch
Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I've had some great help on this forum before, so I'm chancing my arm and asking if anyone can help again! One of my students wishes to use the N-Back test, and I have successfully adapted it so that it will only go do N-Back 1 and N-Back 2. However, my problem is how do I alter the script so that it will repeat N-Back 1 and N-Back 2 alternately on 6 occasions, without being adaptive? Any help would be greatfully received as I've been wrestling with this problem for the best part of today. 

The script of the experiment is attached.

many thanks for absolutely any advice!
Kind regards
Richard
Attachments
ActiveControlGroup.iqx (566 views, 32.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Scritch - Tuesday, February 7, 2017
Hi,

I've had some great help on this forum before, so I'm chancing my arm and asking if anyone can help again! One of my students wishes to use the N-Back test, and I have successfully adapted it so that it will only go do N-Back 1 and N-Back 2. However, my problem is how do I alter the script so that it will repeat N-Back 1 and N-Back 2 alternately on 6 occasions, without being adaptive? Any help would be greatfully received as I've been wrestling with this problem for the best part of today. 

Kind regards
Richard

Since non-adaptive N-back scripts are available in the library (e.g. the on called simply "N-Back Task"; https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/v5/nback/singletasknback/singletasknback.iqzip ), my first question would be why you don't use those instead of trying to make an adaptive version non-adaptive.

Then, to achieve "that it will repeat N-Back 1 and N-Back 2 alternately on 6 occasions", basically all you have to do is edit

Note: list controls the level of N run during the test. By default, the test runs level 2, 3, 4, repeating
each level once and in sequence
<list nextN>
/items = (2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4)
/ selectionmode = sequence
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

to look like

<list nextN>
/items = (1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2)
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

Edited 7 Years Ago by Dave
Scritch
Scritch
Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)Partner Member (510 reputation)
Dave - Tuesday, February 7, 2017
Hi,

Kind regards
Richard

Since non-adaptive N-back scripts are available in the library (e.g. the on called simply "N-Back Task"; https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/v5/nback/singletasknback/singletasknback.iqzip ), my first question would be why you don't use those instead of trying to make an adaptive version non-adaptive.

Then, to achieve "that it will repeat N-Back 1 and N-Back 2 alternately on 6 occasions", basically all you have to do is edit

Note: list controls the level of N run during the test. By default, the test runs level 2, 3, 4, repeating
<list nextN>
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

to look like

<list nextN>
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

Thanks very much for the advice Dave, much appreciated. I was indeed aware of the non-adaptive n-back tests in the library, but as I had previously set up this adaptive one with correct custom instructions etc., was just thinking there might be a quick change I could make to it to alter it to non-adaptive. But no problems, i can customize the non-adaptive one instead.

Thanks again
Rich

moon3
moon3
Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)
Scritch - Wednesday, February 8, 2017
Hi,

Kind regards
Richard

<list nextN>
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

to look like

<list nextN>
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

Thanks very much for the advice Dave, much appreciated. I was indeed aware of the non-adaptive n-back tests in the library, but as I had previously set up this adaptive one with correct custom instructions etc., was just thinking there might be a quick change I could make to it to alter it to non-adaptive. But no problems, i can customize the non-adaptive one instead.

Thanks again
Rich

Hi!,
I am currently changing the adaptive n-back letters code in order to implement lures. I have already created a trial (trial lures), with the same features as the target trial. How can I introduce the lures in a non-random way?
I  just saw that I can introduce it in the trials inside the block, but it will be random....
/ trials = [1 = start; 2 - 21 = noreplace(nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, lures,
target, target, target)]

Thank you in advance,

Mónica

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
moon3 - Sunday, February 12, 2017
Hi,

Kind regards
Richard

<list nextN>
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

to look like

<list nextN>
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

Thanks again
Rich

Hi!,
I am currently changing the adaptive n-back letters code in order to implement lures. I have already created a trial (trial lures), with the same features as the target trial. How can I introduce the lures in a non-random way?
I  just saw that I can introduce it in the trials inside the block, but it will be random....
/ trials = [1 = start; 2 - 21 = noreplace(nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, lures,
target, target, target)]

Thank you in advance,

Mónica

> How can I introduce the lures in a non-random way?

You would specify when you want to run lure-trials in the /trials attribute. This need not be random. It is perfectly possible to specify, say, that the 3rd and 7th trials be lures while sampling other trials at random. E.g.

/ trials = [1 = start; 2, 4-6, 8-23 = noreplace(nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget,
target, target, target); 3, 7 = lure]
moon3
moon3
Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)Expert (1K reputation)
Dave - Sunday, February 12, 2017
Hi,

Kind regards
Richard

<list nextN>
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

to look like

<list nextN>
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

Thanks again
Rich

Hi!,
target, target, target)]

Thank you in advance,

Mónica

You would specify when you want to run lure-trials in the /trials attribute. This need not be random. It is perfectly possible to specify, say, that the 3rd and 7th trials be lures while sampling other trials at random. E.g.

/ trials = [1 = start; 2, 4-6, 8-23 = noreplace(nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget,

Hi!

Thanks Dave for your answer. But, it would be appear in the third and seventh position no matter what. The problem is that a lure is a distractor that appears just before the target. Can I do the next thing:
/ trials = [1 = start; 2-6, 9-23 = noreplace(nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget,
target, target, target); 7 = lure, 8 = target]??
I mean, I want that everything is random, as usual, but if there is a lure, it should appear just before the target.
Thank you again and thank you for your quick answer!

Dave
Dave
moon3 - Monday, February 13, 2017
Dave - Sunday, February 12, 2017
Hi,

Kind regards
Richard

<list nextN>
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

to look like

<list nextN>
/ selectionrate = block
/ resetinterval = 0
</list>

Thanks again
Rich

Hi!,
target, target, target)]

Thank you in advance,

Mónica

Hi!

Thanks Dave for your answer. But, it would be appear in the third and seventh position no matter what. The problem is that a lure is a distractor that appears just before the target. Can I do the next thing:
/ trials = [1 = start; 2-6, 9-23 = noreplace(nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget, nontarget,
target, target, target); 7 = lure, 8 = target]??
I mean, I want that everything is random, as usual, but if there is a lure, it should appear just before the target.
Thank you again and thank you for your quick answer!

Yes, you can do that -- at least, I don't see any reason why not. You could also just /branch from <trial lure> to <trial target>, in which case you would not have to specify

7 = lure, 8 = target
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search