Calculate percentile without all means

Author
splukkel
Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi!

I'm using a script from the library (tipi.iqx).

To calculate the percentiles in this script, it is using the means and SD of females, males, or all.
For the survey I want to use, I only have data of females and males. But not the 'all'.

Can I delete the allMeans and allSD from the script below? There's a question in the survey asking for the sex, and it is required to answer. 
I don't know what exactly I can delete in this part and what not. I'm just a beginner with Inquisit and I don't understand the 'else' in this expression. 
So I'm not sure if I just can delete a part of it. 

I hope you can help.

/ calculateE_percentile = {
if (parameters.calculateGenderPercentile == true){
if (radiobuttons.gender.response == 2){
values.z_E = (expressions.Extraversion - list.maleMeans.item(1))/list.maleSD.item(1);
} else {
values.z_E = (expressions.Extraversion - list.femaleMeans.item(1))/list.femaleSD.item(1);
};
} else {
values.z_E = (expressions.Extraversion - list.allMeans.item(1))/list.allSD.item(1);
};
values.E_percentile = pofz(values.z_E);
}

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
splukkel - Monday, February 20, 2017
Hi!

I'm using a script from the library (tipi.iqx).

To calculate the percentiles in this script, it is using the means and SD of females, males, or all.
For the survey I want to use, I only have data of females and males. But not the 'all'.

Can I delete the allMeans and allSD from the script below? There's a question in the survey asking for the sex, and it is required to answer. 
I don't know what exactly I can delete in this part and what not. I'm just a beginner with Inquisit and I don't understand the 'else' in this expression. 
So I'm not sure if I just can delete a part of it. 

I hope you can help.

/ calculateE_percentile = {
if (parameters.calculateGenderPercentile == true){
if (radiobuttons.gender.response == 2){
values.z_E = (expressions.Extraversion - list.maleMeans.item(1))/list.maleSD.item(1);
} else {
values.z_E = (expressions.Extraversion - list.femaleMeans.item(1))/list.femaleSD.item(1);
};
} else {
values.z_E = (expressions.Extraversion - list.allMeans.item(1))/list.allSD.item(1);
};
values.E_percentile = pofz(values.z_E);
}

You don't need to delete anything. If you want gender-specific percentiles calculated, all you need to make sure is that the /calculateGenderPercentile <parameter> is set to 'true', as detailed in the script's <usermanual>:

/calculateGenderPercentile:
true (1) = z-score and percentiles are calculated based on gender norms (provided by Gosling et al, 2003, p.526) - can be set under Editable Parameters
false (0) = z-score and percentiles are calculated using the overall norms (provided by Gosling et al, 2003, p.526)

splukkel
splukkel
Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)Partner Member (551 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Okay, that's clear! Thanks :) 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search