Feedback message after block based on performance

Author
bellreavue
Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My task involves blocks of a flanker task. Each block runs through a sequence of two types of trials. I want participants who have >90% correct and <75% correct at the end of the block on one type of trial only (flankertrial) to see a message telling them to go faster or go slower (and participants who have between 75 and 90% percent correct on those trials to see nothing).

I tried adding this branch to my <block>: 
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect < 90) trial.speedfeedback]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect > 75) trial.accuracyfeedback]

But it came up with an error: the element 'speedfeedback' in branch expression 'speedfeedback' is the wrong element type. I'm assuming this means I can't branch to a trial if I use it in the block element. 

My next attempt was to add a branch to my <trial flankertrial>: 
/ branch [if (trial.flankertrial.count < 80) notrial]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.count == 80 && trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect < 90) trial.speedfeedback]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.count == 80 && trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect > 75) trial.accuracyfeedback]

Error: expression contains an unknown element or property name. 

I'm thinking that the trial.flankertrial.count won't work because the count would always be 1 within the trial, which is why my first instinct was to add something to the block level. At this point I'm not sure how I can specify that participants should see a simple text message after the block depending on their percent correct on one of the two trial types. Any ideas?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
bellreavue - Tuesday, February 21, 2017
My task involves blocks of a flanker task. Each block runs through a sequence of two types of trials. I want participants who have >90% correct and <75% correct at the end of the block on one type of trial only (flankertrial) to see a message telling them to go faster or go slower (and participants who have between 75 and 90% percent correct on those trials to see nothing).

I tried adding this branch to my <block>: 
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect < 90) trial.speedfeedback]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect > 75) trial.accuracyfeedback]

But it came up with an error: the element 'speedfeedback' in branch expression 'speedfeedback' is the wrong element type. I'm assuming this means I can't branch to a trial if I use it in the block element. 

My next attempt was to add a branch to my <trial flankertrial>: 
/ branch [if (trial.flankertrial.count < 80) notrial]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.count == 80 && trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect < 90) trial.speedfeedback]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.count == 80 && trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect > 75) trial.accuracyfeedback]

Error: expression contains an unknown element or property name. 

I'm thinking that the trial.flankertrial.count won't work because the count would always be 1 within the trial, which is why my first instinct was to add something to the block level. At this point I'm not sure how I can specify that participants should see a simple text message after the block depending on their percent correct on one of the two trial types. Any ideas?

> I tried adding this branch to my <block>: 
> / branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect < 90) trial.speedfeedback]
>/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect > 75) trial.accuracyfeedback]
> [...]
> I'm assuming this means I can't branch to a trial if I use it in the block element. 

Correct.

/branch-es must remain at the same "level":
A <trial> can /branch to another <trial>; a <trial> cannot /branch to a <block>.
A <block> can /branch to another <block>; a <block> cannot /branch to a <trial>.

Put the two trials in (a) feedback <block>(s) and /branch to those <block>(s).

> / branch [if (trial.flankertrial.count < 80) notrial]

is missing an equals-sign

/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.count < 80) notrial]
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search