Spatial Binding

Author
Psych_Josh
Guru (11K reputation)Guru (11K reputation)Guru (11K reputation)Guru (11K reputation)Guru (11K reputation)Guru (11K reputation)Guru (11K reputation)Guru (11K reputation)Guru (11K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear forum, 

I am in the stages of compiling a script for a spatial binding task. However, there a couple of road blocks I have been unable to resolve, and thought I would be put my queries before continuing in vain. I have uploaded my current script.

1) Essentially, the video I am using becomes displaced, appearing to the left of the screen, despite, at least to me, no obvious reason why it would do so (this occurs for multiple video formats). Furthermore, on attempting to reposition the video, the video becomes horizontally squashed. Is there a way to centralise the position of the video?

2) The measure I will be using is to ask participants to replicate the length of the rectangle that they see - does Inquisit offer a dynamic/interactive stimulus, whereby they will be able to click/drag a shape along a trajectory in order to replicate the size of the original rectangle, or is this not possible with Inquisit?

3) Lastly, this study will be conducted online. As such, the 'length' of the rectangle will vary relative to the participant's screen size. I have been unable to locate a way of measuring the participant's overall screen width, so that I will know the relative width of the rectangle they see, including their own 'replication' of the rectangle, and thus will be able to calculate relative error in their replication attempts. Again, is this possible to do with Inqusit?

Many thanks in advance - let me know if I have not explained anything clearly.
Josh
Attachments
The real spatial binding.iqx (530 views, 5.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Psych_Josh - Monday, March 20, 2017
Dear forum, 

I am in the stages of compiling a script for a spatial binding task. However, there a couple of road blocks I have been unable to resolve, and thought I would be put my queries before continuing in vain. I have uploaded my current script.

1) Essentially, the video I am using becomes displaced, appearing to the left of the screen, despite, at least to me, no obvious reason why it would do so (this occurs for multiple video formats). Furthermore, on attempting to reposition the video, the video becomes horizontally squashed. Is there a way to centralise the position of the video?

2) The measure I will be using is to ask participants to replicate the length of the rectangle that they see - does Inquisit offer a dynamic/interactive stimulus, whereby they will be able to click/drag a shape along a trajectory in order to replicate the size of the original rectangle, or is this not possible with Inquisit?

3) Lastly, this study will be conducted online. As such, the 'length' of the rectangle will vary relative to the participant's screen size. I have been unable to locate a way of measuring the participant's overall screen width, so that I will know the relative width of the rectangle they see, including their own 'replication' of the rectangle, and thus will be able to calculate relative error in their replication attempts. Again, is this possible to do with Inqusit?

Many thanks in advance - let me know if I have not explained anything clearly.
Josh

Re. 1: Not sure how to answer that without (a) the actual video, and (b) screen shots or the like illustrating exactly what you're seeing. As for centralizing the video, specify /position = (50%, 50%). That, however, shouldn't even be necessary because display a stimulus centrally is the default behavior.

Re. 2: This can be done. See https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost17870.aspx

Re. 3: display.canvaswidth will return the width of the canvas in pixels. You'll want to work in pixels or apply some kind of conversion from pixels to a physical unit (there is no fixed relationship, the physical size of a pixel will differ considerably between displays). Also see https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic14608.aspx

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search