Presenting stimulus pairs within a trial

Author
Orchid
Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Hello,
Within a trial, I would like to present  text stimuli in pairs (one stimulus after the other), but I could not find out, how to do this.

this is how I defined a trial:
<trial mytrial>
/ stimulustimes = [0 = fixation; 1000 = textA; 2000 = textB]
</trial>

Is there a possibility to present the first item (/1 = ItemA1) of the text element "textA" with the first item (/1 = itemB1) of the text element "textB" within a trial and the second item of "textA" with the second item of "textB" within a trial, third item of "textA" with third item of "textB". etc?
But it should be random, in which order the pairs are presented (e.g. it starts with the pair of third item of "textA" and and third item of "textB". Then it continues with the first item of "textA" and first item of "textB"...)

I tried using the "select = sequence" attribute in my text element, but then the trials always start with the first pair of items.
When I used the "select = noreplace" attribute in my text element, there are no pairs anymore.

Can you help me?

Thank you very much!

This is how I defined the items and text elements:

< item A>
/ 1 = ItemA1
/ 5 = ItemA5
</item A>

< item B>
/ 1 = ItemB1
/ 5 = ItemB5
</item A>

< text textA>
/ items = A
</text>

< text textB>
/ items = B
</text>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Orchid - Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Hello,
Within a trial, I would like to present  text stimuli in pairs (one stimulus after the other), but I could not find out, how to do this.

<trial mytrial>
</trial>

Is there a possibility to present the first item (/1 = ItemA1) of the text element "textA" with the first item (/1 = itemB1) of the text element "textB" within a trial and the second item of "textA" with the second item of "textB" within a trial, third item of "textA" with third item of "textB". etc?
But it should be random, in which order the pairs are presented (e.g. it starts with the pair of third item of "textA" and and third item of "textB". Then it continues with the first item of "textA" and first item of "textB"...)

I tried using the "select = sequence" attribute in my text element, but then the trials always start with the first pair of items.
When I used the "select = noreplace" attribute in my text element, there are no pairs anymore.

Can you help me?

Thank you very much!

< item A>
/ 1 = ItemA1
/ 5 = ItemA5
</item A>

< item B>
/ 1 = ItemB1
/ 5 = ItemB5
</item A>

< text textA>
/ items = A
</text>

< text textB>
/ items = B
</text>

Yes, this is possible and covered in "How to present stimulus pairs": https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v4/html/howto/howtopairs.htm

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Hello,

<trial mytrial>
</trial>

Can you help me?

Thank you very much!

< item A>
/ 1 = ItemA1
/ 5 = ItemA5
</item A>

< item B>
/ 1 = ItemB1
/ 5 = ItemB5
</item A>

< text textA>
/ items = A
</text>

< text textB>
/ items = B
</text>

Yes, this is possible and covered in "How to present stimulus pairs": https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v4/html/howto/howtopairs.htm

Concretely, applied to your example code:

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-5 = mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text textA>
/ items = A
/ select = noreplace
</text>

<text textB>
/ items = B
/ select = text.texta.currentindex
</text>

<item A>
/ 1 = "ItemA1"
/ 2 = "ItemA2"
/ 3 = "ItemA3"
/ 4 = "ItemA4"
/ 5 = "ItemA5"
</item>

<item B>
/ 1 = "ItemB1"
/ 2 = "ItemB2"
/ 3 = "ItemB3"
/ 4 = "ItemB4"
/ 5 = "ItemB5"
</item>

<text fixation>
/ items = ("+")
</text>

Orchid
Orchid
Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)Partner Member (774 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Thank you very much!

Are there more general Inquisit tutorials, which teach me programming for beginners?

Dave
Dave
Thank you very much!

Are there more general Inquisit tutorials, which teach me programming for beginners?

Yes, the Inquisit documentation has several sections aimed at introducing the most important / basic syntax features:

General overview: https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v4/html/introduction.htm
Tutorials: https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v4/html/tutorials/tutorials.htm
How-to section: https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v4/html/howto/howto.htm

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search