Rotor Task Data Collection

Author
aquirk
Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I'm trying to use the pursuit rotor task script (with a few small changes), but when I do a trial run and look at the data, it's not correct. Specifically, the 'timeOnTarget_trial" column is recording numbers that are too high. It's saying I spent almost the whole time correctly on target, when I know I wasn't (I've tested it with my mouse on target for specific periods of time, and no matter what it's always registering as almost the whole time). I thought it was due to a change I made in the script, but when I went back to the original this was still happening. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it just my computer or a problem with the example script on Inquisit's website? 

Any help would be SO appreciated, thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
aquirk - Friday, May 5, 2017
Hi,

I'm trying to use the pursuit rotor task script (with a few small changes), but when I do a trial run and look at the data, it's not correct. Specifically, the 'timeOnTarget_trial" column is recording numbers that are too high. It's saying I spent almost the whole time correctly on target, when I know I wasn't (I've tested it with my mouse on target for specific periods of time, and no matter what it's always registering as almost the whole time). I thought it was due to a change I made in the script, but when I went back to the original this was still happening. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it just my computer or a problem with the example script on Inquisit's website? 

> I've tested it with my mouse on target for specific periods of time.

Could you specify *exactly* how? The ostensibly wrong numbers could be an artifact of the testing approach. E.g. if you, say, keep the mouse on-target for 3 seconds at the start of the trial, then move it off-target and never back on-target, that would violate (for lack of a better term) an assumption in the code and throw off the calculation.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - Friday, May 5, 2017
Hi,

Could you specify *exactly* how? The ostensibly wrong numbers could be an artifact of the testing approach. E.g. if you, say, keep the mouse on-target for 3 seconds at the start of the trial, then move it off-target and never back on-target, that would violate (for lack of a better term) an assumption in the code and throw off the calculation.

Okay, working off the above guess, I've slightly revised the code in a manner that should avoid the somewhat flawed assumption [1]. The revised script is attached. Can you give this a few test spins and let me know if you still see times that seem "off"?

[1] The code was premised on the assumption that a participant would make a "good faith" effort to move back on-target after slipping off-target.

Attachments
pursuitrotor_revised.iqx (210 views, 24.00 KB)
Edited 7 Years Ago by Dave
aquirk
aquirk
Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

Okay, working off the above guess, I've slightly revised the code in a manner that should avoid the somewhat flawed assumption [1]. The revised script is attached. Can you give this a few test spins and let me know if you still see times that seem "off"?

[1] The code was premised on the assumption that a participant would make a "good faith" effort to move back on-target after slipping off-target.

Yes this file works perfectly thank you so much!!! Is there anything I need to know about the code before making changes beyond the "editable parameters"?? In the original file I added a few different types of rotation trials, etc. Will that affect this at all, or should I be okay?
Dave
Dave
aquirk - Monday, May 8, 2017
Hi,

Yes this file works perfectly thank you so much!!! Is there anything I need to know about the code before making changes beyond the "editable parameters"?? In the original file I added a few different types of rotation trials, etc. Will that affect this at all, or should I be okay?

> Will that affect this at all, or should I be okay?

Changing the parameters should not affect things at all / should be perfectly okay. 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search