Adaptive N-back: Scoring formula seems taken from normal n-back and therefore unreliable?

Adaptive N-back: Scoring formula seems taken from normal n-back and...
Author
aquinox
Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I have used the N-back for a while, assuming that scoring correction is taking place for getting in higher levels of N, because obviously they are harder. If someone enters a higher level of N but scores not so good on that N level, he could end up scoring lower than someone scoring quite well in a lower N level.

Lets say there are
30 target trials in total, with each time 0 FAs, someone scores
Person A : N=2: 9/10 hitsN=3: 8/10 + 7/10= 15/20 hits (less than 90% correct, so no N=4)Final score will be 24
 Person B:
N=2: 9/10 hitsN=3: 9/10 hits (pass to N=4)N=4: 4/10 hitsHis final score is 22. While person B reached N=4, his final score will still be worse.

Or am i missing something?

Thanks!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
aquinox - Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Hi,

I have used the N-back for a while, assuming that scoring correction is taking place for getting in higher levels of N, because obviously they are harder. If someone enters a higher level of N but scores not so good on that N level, he could end up scoring lower than someone scoring quite well in a lower N level.

Lets say there are
Person A : N=2: 9/10 hits N=3: 8/10 + 7/10= 15/20 hits (less than 90% correct, so no N=4) Final score will be 24
 Person B:
N=2: 9/10 hitsN=3: 9/10 hits (pass to N=4)N=4: 4/10 hitsHis final score is 22. While person B reached N=4, his final score will still be worse.

Thanks!

I'm confused: Are you referring to the adaptive n-back or the normal (non-adaptive n-back)? I don't quite get how you came up with the numbers in the example and how they relate to the adaptive n-back. I'm also not sure what exactly you are referring to as "final score." If you could clarify, that would be great.

aquinox
aquinox
Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)Respected Member (321 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Hi,

Lets say there are
Person A : N=2: 9/10 hits N=3: 8/10 + 7/10= 15/20 hits (less than 90% correct, so no N=4) Final score will be 24
 Person B:

Thanks!

I'm confused: Are you referring to the adaptive n-back or the normal (non-adaptive n-back)? I don't quite get how you came up with the numbers in the example and how they relate to the adaptive n-back. I'm also not sure what exactly you are referring to as "final score." If you could clarify, that would be great.

I'm referring to the adaptive N-back.

They are just some round numbers to illustrate the problem I think exists in how the adaptive n-back has been set up.

So what I mean with final score is the way the test results are scored. Participant B reached N=4 but didn't score so well in this N level, and will get a lower final score than Participant A because he  scored higher in lower N levels and there's no differentiation between N levels. (it appears as if the scoring system has been taken over from the normal Nback)

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Hi,

Lets say there are
 Person B:

Thanks!

I'm referring to the adaptive N-back.

They are just some round numbers to illustrate the problem I think exists in how the adaptive n-back has been set up.

So what I mean with final score is the way the test results are scored. Participant B reached N=4 but didn't score so well in this N level, and will get a lower final score than Participant A because he  scored higher in lower N levels and there's no differentiation between N levels. (it appears as if the scoring system has been taken over from the normal Nback)

Okay, thanks. Cases where a participant who reaches a higher n-level ends up with a slightly worse score due to bad performance at that level than a subject with not-great but more consistent performance at a lower n-level are theoretically possible.To the best of my knowledge, the scoring in the Inquisit script is the way also Jaeggi et al score the adaptive n-Back.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search