two simultaneous pics,randomly selected from two categories/lists

Author
shane
Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I need to present simultaneously two pics of faces, one beside another, along with a brief paragraph below the photos.  The paragraph will remain the same throughout, however, I need the images to be randomly selected one each from two different categories or lists. For example, I have 40 images of A - let's say females and 40 images of B, let's say males. I need one female and one male image selected at random and displayed simultaneously at the same time the paragraph is displayed below the images. I also need the side on which the images are placed randomized (e.g., females sometimes appear on the left, sometimes and the same for the male images). Finally, it would be great if participants could select one of the two images (and only one - it's a binary choice) by clicking on the image directly. If not, I'm open to suggestions for how they could select one image over another. I appreciate any assistance.  Thanks in advance.
-Shane      
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
shane - Wednesday, June 14, 2017
I need to present simultaneously two pics of faces, one beside another, along with a brief paragraph below the photos.  The paragraph will remain the same throughout, however, I need the images to be randomly selected one each from two different categories or lists. For example, I have 40 images of A - let's say females and 40 images of B, let's say males. I need one female and one male image selected at random and displayed simultaneously at the same time the paragraph is displayed below the images. I also need the side on which the images are placed randomized (e.g., females sometimes appear on the left, sometimes and the same for the male images). Finally, it would be great if participants could select one of the two images (and only one - it's a binary choice) by clicking on the image directly. If not, I'm open to suggestions for how they could select one image over another. I appreciate any assistance.  Thanks in advance.
-Shane      

Set up two <picture> elements -- one for male one for female -- each with 40 items. Display both pictures via a <trial>'s /stimulusframes. You can randomize the position (left / right) of the two pictures using a <list>. Set the <trial>'s /inputdevice to mouse and define the two pictures as its /validresponse|s.

<picture male>
/ items = maleitems
/ hposition = list.hpos.nextvalue
</picture>

<picture female>
/ items = femaleitems
/ hposition = list.hpos.nextvalue
</picture>

<list hpos>
/ items = (30%, 70%)
/ selectionrate = always
</list>

<item maleitems>
/ 1 = "male01.jpg"
/ 40 = "male40.jpg"
</item>

<item femaleitems>
/ 1 = "female01.jpg"
/ 40 = "female40.jpg"
</item>

<text paragraph>
/ items = ("lorem ipsum dolor sit amet...")
/ position = (50%, 80%)
/ size = (90%, 10%)
</text>

<trial mytrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=male, female, paragraph]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (male, female)
</trial>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-40 = mytrial]
</block>

GO