Black Box with .wmv and .mp4 animation files

Author
pg23
Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all! New to the forums and relatively new to inquisit, could really use some help/perspective. I'm inserting brief animations inquisit in which two stimuli appear stationary on the screen, move towards the center/each other, then hold that position for a moment before switching to a new pair of stimuli. I've gotten this to work in the sense that the stimuli are animated and move as they're supposed to, but each time a new pair comes up there are two black boxes that flash right before the stimuli appear. I assumed this indicated really brief loading or something, but compressing the files (used windows movie maker) did not help. Tried both the .wmv format and the .mp4 format (with codec installed) but both have the same problem. In most cases this may be negligible, but as part of associative priming for an IAT study, the black flashes are distracting and could possible affect perception.

Has anyone ever run into this before with an animated stimulus in inquisit? Any further recommendations on how to possibly remove it? Thanks!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
pg23 - Friday, July 28, 2017
Hi all! New to the forums and relatively new to inquisit, could really use some help/perspective. I'm inserting brief animations inquisit in which two stimuli appear stationary on the screen, move towards the center/each other, then hold that position for a moment before switching to a new pair of stimuli. I've gotten this to work in the sense that the stimuli are animated and move as they're supposed to, but each time a new pair comes up there are two black boxes that flash right before the stimuli appear. I assumed this indicated really brief loading or something, but compressing the files (used windows movie maker) did not help. Tried both the .wmv format and the .mp4 format (with codec installed) but both have the same problem. In most cases this may be negligible, but as part of associative priming for an IAT study, the black flashes are distracting and could possible affect perception.

Has anyone ever run into this before with an animated stimulus in inquisit? Any further recommendations on how to possibly remove it? Thanks!

Could you attach one or two of the video files to this thread (or put them up somewhere else for download -- your Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.)?

To attach files to a post here, put them in a ZIP, click +Insert and then 'Add File'.

pg23
pg23
Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)Partner Member (511 reputation)
Dave - Monday, July 31, 2017

Could you attach one or two of the video files to this thread (or put them up somewhere else for download -- your Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.)?

To attach files to a post here, put them in a ZIP, click +Insert and then 'Add File'.

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your reply. Animations are in the folder attached. The black box doesn't happen outside the context of inquisit, but hopefully they are still helpful. Also worth noting that the animations are originally created in powerpoint before being converted to .wmv files.

Attachments
Sample Inquisit Animations.zip (402 views, 2.00 MB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
pg23 - Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your reply. Animations are in the folder attached. The black box doesn't happen outside the context of inquisit, but hopefully they are still helpful. Also worth noting that the animations are originally created in powerpoint before being converted to .wmv files.

Thanks for sharing the example files! I see what you mean re. the "black box" that appears briefly at the time the video display surface is initialized and I can see that this could be distracting in certain tasks (like yours). The only immediate workaround I can think of would be to use animated GIF files instead of a typical video format (WMV, MP4, etc.). Animated GIFs can be displayed via the <video> element, but internally they are handled differently than a video: The animation frames are effectively expanded to /stimulusframes, which should avoid  the "black box" initialization artifact. (Example GIFs and small test script attached.) Please let me know if that seems like workable solution for your purposes.

Attachments
GIFs.zip (417 views, 1.00 MB)
pg23
pg23
Dave - Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing the example files! I see what you mean re. the "black box" that appears briefly at the time the video display surface is initialized and I can see that this could be distracting in certain tasks (like yours). The only immediate workaround I can think of would be to use animated GIF files instead of a typical video format (WMV, MP4, etc.). Animated GIFs can be displayed via the <video> element, but internally they are handled differently than a video: The animation frames are effectively expanded to /stimulusframes, which should avoid  the "black box" initialization artifact. (Example GIFs and small test script attached.) Please let me know if that seems like workable solution for your purposes.

That is definitely a workable solution! One further question, the speed of the animation drastically decreases when converted to GIF format; I could go back and set all the initial powerpoint animations to an even quicker duration (the prior one was .5 seconds, but that isn't translating to the gifs), but this would be very long form. Do you know why the speed might be impacted by this conversion (it didn't change at all when I tried mp4, for example) and if there's an easier way to adjust the speed using the gif or the wmv files/not going back into powerpoint?
Thanks for all your help!
Dave
Dave
pg23 - Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Hi Dave,

That is definitely a workable solution! One further question, the speed of the animation drastically decreases when converted to GIF format; I could go back and set all the initial powerpoint animations to an even quicker duration (the prior one was .5 seconds, but that isn't translating to the gifs), but this would be very long form. Do you know why the speed might be impacted by this conversion (it didn't change at all when I tried mp4, for example) and if there's an easier way to adjust the speed using the gif or the wmv files/not going back into powerpoint?

This will largely depend on what converter you use and at which settings. For example, this one here https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif will let you adjust all sorts of parameters for the resulting GIF, such as frame rate, etc. That should enable you to generate GIFs from the WMVs that fit your particular needs. Hope this helps!

pg23
pg23
Dave - Wednesday, August 2, 2017
pg23 - Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Hi Dave,

This will largely depend on what converter you use and at which settings. For example, this one here https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif will let you adjust all sorts of parameters for the resulting GIF, such as frame rate, etc. That should enable you to generate GIFs from the WMVs that fit your particular needs. Hope this helps!

Got it all sorted, it works great now! Thanks again for working with me I hugely appreciate your help!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search